• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra UK 29 LTD ST over voltage

m3vuv

Apr 21, 2018
hi all ive gotone of these torepair for a friend,he put it into a waggon and shoved 24 volts into it,now we have no led display,no tx,sounds like the pll is unlocked,now i suspect there is a 7805 voltage regulator that supplies the smd chip that controls the pll etc,trouble is i can see it on the schematic,but cant find it on the radio,any ideas anyone,its not a mod i know but couldnt see where else to post,cheers Paul,m3vuv.

Without a measurement of some sort, this is like shooting in the dark.

Do you have power on the PLL chip's 5-Volt pin? I don't think we have any component-layout or schematic data on UK model radios here. Only the USA versions.

well,acording to the parts list the 5v reg im after is a kia 7805plisted as ic 105,problem is i cant see where its located,any ideas?,cheers m3vuv.

Without a measurement of some sort, this is like shooting in the dark.

Do you have power on the PLL chip's 5-Volt pin? I don't think we have any component-layout or schematic data on UK model radios here. Only the USA versions.

well i found the reg and its ok,noticed there isnt a feed to the meter lamp so time to look at the schematic.

the service manual I posted last night does it cover your radio. was not sure if it covered your radio. that is the only one for that radio I have ever seen.
I like the trouble shooting info they put on page 5. I have only seen one of these radios back years ago. not very easy to find here in the US..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned