• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Disappointed

M

moranacus

I just started using my new Grundig Satellit 800 radio today and I'm very disappointed. The only shortwave stations I could pickup were the WWV time stations on 5000 and 10000 KHZ.

I've tried for several hours and still am having no luck picking up any stations. I spent almost $500 for this radio and I am not happy with it!!!!

</p>

If you spent $500 for the radio then you certainly can afford $25 for a long-wire antenna. Get yourself to Radio Shack and purchase (or order online) one of their long-wire antennas (~$25) just for this purpose. Hook it up (outside). Run the lead-in (inside) to your radio. Your $500 radio will suddenly act like a $500 radio.

We are in the very bottom of the sunspot cycle and conditions are lousy many days. Some bands may be open, depending on time of day but they close and others open. You have to search.

And the point of an outside antenna is a good one. The longer, the better. You can buy a shortwave wire antenna or make your own. If you do a Google search, you will find several hits that describe how to do it. If you don't feel you can make one, commercially made antennas are available. Ham radio dealers will have some models available and they're a good resource.

Good luck. You have a good radio, just need a good antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.