• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Easy Dummy Load with a Nostalgic Look

OldModel

Apr 8, 2024
The wife was throwing out some old cookie tins. One of them caught my eye, look and size wise. I have an old MFJ 989C tuner. Purchased for parts years ago. More or less, I have cannibalized over the years for variables, switches and such. The old 75-year-old brain vaguely remembered that the MFJ 115-1500, rated at 90 watts, 50-ohm resistor was still good. The dry, open-air type they used in the older higher power tuners, as dummy loads. Re checked the resistance, it read 53 ohms, then started a simple, little project for fun.

It took about an hour or so and will not be mistaken for the average black box. Gave it a 100-watt dose for 2 minutes and no issues. No change in resistance and no SWR clime to speak of. The temperature did rise to 160 degrees on the resistor and very hot to the touch. Just something to do, with a limited practical use.

Dummy Load 1.jpg
Dummy Load.jpg
Dummy Load 2.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio