• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Elenco Long Range Bi-lateral questions

Umm, Elenco "Long Ranger"?

With four 6BQ5 tubes?

Seems to me the only diagram we ever saw came from the patent documentation. Does yours have the US Patent Number anywhere on it?

Probably on record at our shop. Somewhere. Pretty sure there's one of those in the basement waiting its turn for fleabay. Next time I'm in the basement I should see if that number is on the one we have.

Or had. Not keeping extremely good track of what leaves the basement never to return. Stuff that gets no buyers on fleabay goes to the e-waste cruncher.

The patent shows an amplifier that is always in line. The four tubes are wired as a preamp while receiving, and the relay switches this around to feed the radio's transmit power to the tubes when the mike is keyed.

This amplifier can NOT be left in line with the power off. It's a full-time preamp and transmit-side power amp any time that it is in line with the antenna coax.

Definitely one screwy booger.

Reactions: NZ8N and Harley3315
Umm, Elenco "Long Ranger"?

With four 6BQ5 tubes?

Seems to me the only diagram we ever saw came from the patent documentation. Does yours have the US Patent Number anywhere on it?

Probably on record at our shop. Somewhere. Pretty sure there's one of those in the basement waiting its turn for fleabay. Next time I'm in the basement I should see if that number is on the one we have.

Or had. Not keeping extremely good track of what leaves the basement never to return. Stuff that gets no buyers on fleabay goes to the e-waste cruncher.

The patent shows an amplifier that is always in line. The four tubes are wired as a preamp while receiving, and the relay switches this around to feed the radio's transmit power to the tubes when the mike is keyed.

This amplifier can NOT be left in line with the power off. It's a full-time preamp and transmit-side power amp any time that it is in line with the antenna coax.

Definitely one screwy booger.

I noticed that same thing Nomad the one I recapped for the guy a few years back if its in line it has to be on I had some 500v 100uf caps laying around so went up 50v and from 40uf to 100 might be to much it works but doesn't sound great.

Um, okay. One observation.

Four 6BQ5 tubes in parallel are a crummy receiver preamp. Far too noisy.

Cute idea, though.

Did get him a patent.

Still haven't tracked that one down.

Honestly It really doesn't really effect the rx in a positive or negative way that I can see

I've got the LR one and the LR6. Both have the preamp going thru the tube output circuit. What I have found is since the output tubes already have the narrow band tuned tank circuit, and the preamp uses this on the receive side, it makes a great low noise preamp. The best I have ever had. Just like the tank circuit pretty much only allows power that it is tuned for, in resonance, to get out, that preamp design does the same for the receive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.