• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF frequency counter

Raccoon

Oct 27, 2005
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone , I have an old Heathkit SB-102 , and an old Heathkit HW-101 .... and if you know those radios , then you know they both have the old analog type dials . So you don't always know if you're on frequency or not . I love my old tube radios , so I'm looking for recommendations for a good HF frequency counter that would be a good match up for these radios . I've looked online , and I've been having a hard time finding one for the Heathkit radios . I can find them for CB radios , and ones made for specific radios such as Yaesu , Collins , or Kenwood ... but not Heathkit . Any information would be appreciated , and I don't mind if I have to assemble a kit like the ones I saw on ebay .

Some brands will work with pretty much any radio. The issue with them is that they will read the correct frequency on AM or FM but they go Crazy on SSB. Many of the so called CB models read all of the HF frequencies just fine. I have a PDC 356 & a CPI FC-70 & both of them work just fine across the HF Bands. The CPI even reads correctly on 6 meters but I have not tried the PDC there. Heathkit did make a couple of different models as well but I don't know all of them but a couple of models were the IM-2420 the IB-1101 & the IM-4100. I don't know much about them but I am pretty sure they made others as well. {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520

Some brands will work with pretty much any radio. The issue with them is that they will read the correct frequency on AM or FM but they go Crazy on SSB. Many of the so called CB models read all of the HF frequencies just fine. I have a PDC 356 & a CPI FC-70 & both of them work just fine across the HF Bands. The CPI even reads correctly on 6 meters but I have not tried the PDC there. Heathkit did make a couple of different models as well but I don't know all of them but a couple of models were the IM-2420 the IB-1101 & the IM-4100. I don't know much about them but I am pretty sure they made others as well. {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520
I should have mentioned that . That is the issue I've been having , finding a frequency counter that will work on sideband ... sorry for not mentioning that before

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
What you want is a digital frequency display that reads receive as well as transmit frequency. The inline counters that go in the antenna coax only read a carrier. Not much help on sideband.

Just one problem. The all-the-time frequency display has to read at least one of the radio's internal frequencies and do the arithmetic to show the operating frequency. The external counters that Yaesu sold for their 1970s radios would read only the radio's VFO. A band-select knob on the counter would adjust the digits to display the band you're on.

There has to be at least one supplier out there selling a boat-anchor compatible display like that these days. Best one came from a silent key, Neil Hecht's Almost All Digital Electronics. His stuff doesn't seem to get traded around a lot. The name "Electronic Specialties" comes to mind. Google would probably turn up more on that. Time for bed, so I'll pass on the research for now.

What you want is a digital frequency display that reads receive as well as transmit frequency. The inline counters that go in the antenna coax only read a carrier. Not much help on sideband.

Just one problem. The all-the-time frequency display has to read at least one of the radio's internal frequencies and do the arithmetic to show the operating frequency. The external counters that Yaesu sold for their 1970s radios would read only the radio's VFO. A band-select knob on the counter would adjust the digits to display the band you're on.

There has to be at least one supplier out there selling a boat-anchor compatible display like that these days. Best one came from a silent key, Neil Hecht's Almost All Digital Electronics. His stuff doesn't seem to get traded around a lot. The name "Electronic Specialties" comes to mind. Google would probably turn up more on that. Time for bed, so I'll pass on the research for now.

What about those "DIY Digital Frequency Display" kits that are on ebay being sold by a seller in Brazil ?? Has anyone on here had any experience with those ? He has kits for multiple older radios , but none for Heathkit . Would any of them work on a Heathkit , and if so is there one that would work better than the others , or are they all the same ??

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I didn't address the question of adding this feature to a Heathkit HF transceiver. Like most analog radios of that sort there are three oscillators in the radio that get mixed together to produce the operating frequency. The VFO runs at the same range of frequencies on every band. One crystal for each band is the second one. The internal carrier or "IF" frequency is the third. The now-extinct AADE readouts would tap into all three of those frequencies and do the math internally. The ESP counter linked above just adds in the extra digits for the band based on which position of the display's 'band' knob you set it to. The rest of the arithmetic depends on the third internal frequency, the carrier. Since it changes when you change modes, the "Cal" knob on the front of the ESP or Yaesu display is used to compensate when you change modes. Also serves to compensate for when you change bands. The band-select or "HF" crystal will only be accurate to within a couple of kHz as a rule. That knob will cancel this error when changing bands.

This is how the ESP display linked above works. Any time you change bands or modes you flip on the radio's calibrate signal and set the cal knob for correct reaidng for the selected band and mode.

I sure wish Neil had left me the source code for his displays in his will. My daydream design would have a tiny pickup module for each of the three oscillators in a HF radio. Rather than snaking a coax out the cabinet for each oscillator, the pickup module would be placed right alongside the oscillator circuit, keeping all the wires added to the radio's RF circuits short. This tends to minimize disrupting circuit performance. The module would have a controller chip that would count the RF right there, and send it in the form of a serial data stream down a wire to the external display. The display would take all three counts and do the math. This way when any of the radio's three oscillator frequencies changes or drifts, the display will always follow it accurately.

Of course the ultimate evolution of this idea would be to add a DDS that takes the place of a drifty analog VFO.

It's been 20-odd years since the last time I diddled source code for a two-input frequency display. Those chips are long obsolete now. Sure wish someone would pick up the ball and try something like this.

Reactions: NZ8N
I should have mentioned that . That is the issue I've been having , finding a frequency counter that will work on sideband ... sorry for not mentioning that before
I forgot to mention that Racoon was my 1st CB handle in 1965 before a local friend changed it to SIX-SHOOTER because my Johnson Messenger 100 only had (6) channels & he said I Shot my Mouth on all of them. LOL It stuck with me so I guess it fit. {:>)

Reactions: Raccoon and NZ8N
I forgot to mention that Racoon was my 1st CB handle in 1965 before a local friend changed it to SIX-SHOOTER because my Johnson Messenger 100 only had (6) channels & he said I Shot my Mouth on all of them. LOL It stuck with me so I guess it fit. {:>)

That's pretty funny ... I picked up Raccoon around 1994 or 1995 . I originally got on the CB in 1978 when I was 10 years old ... and talked on my parents radio all the time until 1985 . My original handle was The Dirt Bike Kid because I rode dirt bikes all the time . I stopped talking in 1985 when I started chasing girls and hanging out with my friends . In 1988 I finally caught one of those girls and married her (and yes we're still together) . In 1994 I decided to get a CB of my own and get back on the air ... but that movie "The Dirt Bike Kid" came out while I was absent from the radio , and I didn't want to be compared with it ... so I came up with a new handle to go by , which obviously was Raccoon

That's pretty funny ... I picked up Raccoon around 1994 or 1995 . I originally got on the CB in 1978 when I was 10 years old ... and talked on my parents radio all the time until 1985 . My original handle was The Dirt Bike Kid because I rode dirt bikes all the time . I stopped talking in 1985 when I started chasing girls and hanging out with my friends . In 1988 I finally caught one of those girls and married her (and yes we're still together) . In 1994 I decided to get a CB of my own and get back on the air ... but that movie "The Dirt Bike Kid" came out while I was absent from the radio , and I didn't want to be compared with it ... so I came up with a new handle to go by , which obviously was Raccoon
I got my Ham Radio License is 1994 & CB became far less fun or important since I'm a DX Chaser. I discovered that talking around the world pretty much 24/7 365 was far more fun than talking across the USA & Canada. I pretty much stay on HF 99% of the time unless 6 meters is open. I was given a Ranger 2950 last week & I have been playing with it on 10 meters & I worked New Zealand yesterday evening with it & it's mighty 20 watts. It's ok but I much prefer my ICOM 7600 with the ICOM PW-1 amplifier or even the ICOM 9100 that I run barefoot. I have given up on the CB Band with all of the noise toys & screaming & cussing. I will never return from where I came.

Reactions: Raccoon
I got my Ham Radio License is 1994 & CB became far less fun or important since I'm a DX Chaser. I discovered that talking around the world pretty much 24/7 365 was far more fun than talking across the USA & Canada. I pretty much stay on HF 99% of the time unless 6 meters is open. I was given a Ranger 2950 last week & I have been playing with it on 10 meters & I worked New Zealand yesterday evening with it & it's mighty 20 watts. It's ok but I much prefer my ICOM 7600 with the ICOM PW-1 amplifier or even the ICOM 9100 that I run barefoot. I have given up on the CB Band with all of the noise toys & screaming & cussing. I will never return from where I came.

I have my General Class license as well . I first received my call sign in March of 2004 ... and then I upgraded from a Technician to the General Class in March of 2007 . I spend most of my time on 40 meters , but I still have a lot of friends on the CB . So I go back there a lot as well . We don't have a lot of "noise toys & screaming & cussing" going on here ... so it's not bad going there to talk with my friends . My biggest problem is having 7 to 8 pounds of noise there all day everyday from a neighboring house that was recently gutted & remodeled . I have a Yaesu 897D , and an old Heathkit that I hang out on HF with .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.