• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Info/advice on a Wawasee black cat 75a amp

Jth81182

Jul 20, 2021
I have a 75a amp that I am not having much luck finding out anything about it. I do remember that one of the tubes is a little bigger than the other, it had been tuned up not too long before it was put away. Can I see if it will power up at least without messing it up? Would it even be worth the time to get rid of it or is not worth the shipping? Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks

Attachments

• 20210719_204709.jpg
    20210719_204709.jpg
    956.7 KB · Views: 89

It's a mobile amplifier. Will prove to be a power hog. Once you hear the sound of the DC-to-DC voltage step-up converter you'll discover why it was popular to mount these in the trunk of the car.

Odd stuff can bring odd prices from an online auction. Only one way to find out. Just don't promise that it will work, whether it works for you or not. Most buyers will put a radio behind it that's three times the wattage it can handle. Better if you're not on the hook for how well (or how long) it works when it's abused. Good chance the 8417 tube by itself sells for more than the whole amplifier.

Thanks for letting me know about it being pushed too much. I remember my dad telling me something about only putting so many watts through it just off a base itself or something like that. But that was a long time ago and he rarely messed with it so I'm clueless. Can't you run it with a linear and the linear carry most of the load? Or is it that having the black cat base with 4 tubes distributed the wattage better? He had an Elkin 3 tube with it all there together. Hopefully I'll stumble on the base and linear and try it out for myself. If not, do you suppose it is worth $100? I haven't seen but one yet and it didn't show the final price. Thanks again for the info.

I quit repairing that model a while back. Sold off all my parts-carcass junkers on fleabay. Didn't bring all that much as salvage parts. The "good" stuff had pretty well all been removed from them.

And that's the problem with fleabay. If you promote it as a working amplifier, it should bring more. Also brings the possible liability of a dishonest or incompetent buyer. If you claim it works, you're on the hook if it won't, or if a lamebrain buyer thinks it won't.

The liability issue is why so many sales are marked for parts or not working whether they work or not.

The higher the sale price, the higher the risk the seller takes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.