• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

K30 magnet mobile antenna

MadisonMod

Jul 16, 2023
Hello. I have a k30 magnet mount antenna. The receive went away and swr went off the chart. I took the magnet off the bottom of the mount and the coax is burnt. It looks like it had a resistor or something Sauderd across the transmit conductor and shield. Does anyone know what this is or why it would be there? I thought the 2 needed to be separated. Maybe for wavelength or match ? Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 16919667592768323289638622845684.jpg
    16919667592768323289638622845684.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67

It's a capacitor. The K-40 and K-30 both use them, it's a week link for those antenna's.
Glad someone with experience with those antennas spoke up. I have no experience with those but with others that are shunted with a diode. Is it safe to assume the capacitor is to change the resonance of the antenna, making it a different length electrically? Or is it a filter of sorts?

Glad someone with experience with those antennas spoke up. I have no experience with those but with others that are shunted with a diode. Is it safe to assume the capacitor is to change the resonance of the antenna, making it a different length electrically? Or is it a filter of sorts?

For any length of antenna shorter than 1/4 wavelength, there is a loading coil that will, by itself, get you resonance. However, when you start shortening antennas to this degree, just because you are at resonance does not mean the SWR will also be at a use-able level. Because of this, sometimes, tuning to resonance is not enough to make an antenna use-able with a modern day radio. The capacitor's main job in this case to achieve a reasonable SWR at resonance.

Unfortunately, the capacitors used in these antennas are also a serious week point, to the point that using well less than 25% of the manufacturers maximum power rating are enough to blow many of said caps.

The DB

If I'm not mistaken, I "think" it was a ceramic disc capacitor.
Any idea what size? The antenna specs say
For any length of antenna shorter than 1/4 wavelength, there is a loading coil that will, by itself, get you resonance. However, when you start shortening antennas to this degree, just because you are at resonance does not mean the SWR will also be at a use-able level. Because of this, sometimes, tuning to resonance is not enough to make an antenna use-able with a modern day radio. The capacitor's main job in this case to achieve a reasonable SWR at resonance.

Unfortunately, the capacitors used in these antennas are also a serious week point, to the point that using well less than 25% of the manufacturers maximum power rating are enough to blow many of said caps.

The DB
Thank you for the information. What capacitor would you recommend that I put back to make antenna work properly?

Thank you for the information. What capacitor would you recommend that I put back to make antenna work properly?

I know the capacitor in the K40 is 130 pF. I don't know anyone wo had taken the K30 apart and haven't found any info on said capacitor online so I am not sure about that one. Likely to get that information, you will have to have someone take apart a perfectly good K30...

The DB

Reactions: MadisonMod

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.