• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood R-1000 Problems

KC8LWG

Jun 8, 2009
Ive got one for those of you out there with experience in electronics repair. My R-1000 seems to like to randomly start jumping frequency all over the place. A firm "rap" on the top of the rig always puts it back on frequency. It seems to me that when this is happening the digital frequency readout seems to be flickering ever so slightly. By flicker I dont mean it ever goes out, it just seems to dim slightly but rapidly. Anyone have any thoughts? Where can it be repaired? Is it worth it?

Worth it? Yes.... It may have voltage problems stemming from cold solder joints that may have let go after these many years. Try running the radio on DC and see if it does the same thing.
Capacitors will be spent after many years and your 1000 is not a spring chicken any more... :p

Keep us posted on this

mechanic

Last edited:
All running on DC will prove is the AC power supply. There could very well be a cold solder joint anywhere else in the radio. I suggest unplugging and reseating all the wire terminals in the radio and see if that helps.Just plug/unplug each one a few times to remove any dirt or oxide buildup. It is also possible that the VCO may be unlocking in which case the radio needs to be aligned. In either case it is well worth the effort.The R-1000 is a GREAT radio. I know. I have had one since 1985. (y)

You can get a user manual and a full service manual at rigpix if you need to.

RigPix Database - Kenwood/Trio - R-1000

Well I know its been a long time but I finally got around to taking the lid off the radio last month. I dont know what did it reseating all the wire connectors or removing the very small nut that was lodged in the radio somewhere but its working now. Lol thanks guys.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.