• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for a new cb

gomer

May 30, 2011
Hi, guys i'm looking for a new cb. I have an old cobra 25 ltd,but it older and i thinking of getting a new one. i'm not sure if i want to stick with cobra.anyways i'm looking to spend around $150.00 range, i'm not going to be on it a lot of time. But i do have some road trips coming up. my old set up was the 25 and it had sideband and a little extra help palomar 225 i think!!

Hi, guys i'm looking for a new cb. I have an old cobra 25 ltd,but it older and i thinking of getting a new one. i'm not sure if i want to stick with cobra.anyways i'm looking to spend around $150.00 range, i'm not going to be on it a lot of time. But i do have some road trips coming up. my old set up was the 25 and it had sideband and a little extra help palomar 225 i think!!

the 25 is a AM radio only. it does not have sideband, are you talking about just upper and lower channels.

If you don't need SSB then I would send your radio in to a trusted shop for a going over. Then match it up to a small 150-250 watt amplifier and your talking good. Some of the old school radio's are better then many new radio's.

That said if you do want to go new check out the Galaxy 919. Smoken little radio. Buy it properly tuned from a shop that does good honest tech work and you will be all set.

I have a Galaxy DX939 that is really cool. I'm really a sideband guy, but this rig is fun for AM only operation. It *can* be modded for lower channels, which is where the AM'ers mostly hang out. The MOSFET finals will be too much for the amp that you have though.... mine swings to nearly 30 watts after a peak/tune. :blink: It's nice to have a frequency counter to know where you're at on the lowers without using a chart.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person

The older Cobras are much better radios and if it ain't broke don't replace it.

If you don't need SSB then I would send your radio in to a trusted shop for a going over. Then match it up to a small 150-250 watt amplifier and your talking good. Some of the old school radio's are better then many new radio's.

That said if you do want to go new check out the Galaxy 919. Smoken little radio. Buy it properly tuned from a shop that does good honest tech work and you will be all set.

Hey 9c1driver, do you know how much the galaxy 919 are going for?

I have had and enjoyed a Galaxy DX 959 having both AM and SSB $149.99 @ copper electronics. Easily modded for the extra channels and talked all kinds of skip on it. Yes they drift a little during warm up but after 10 minutes on I never had an issue with mine. If your just looking for AM it's a Galaxy 919for my pick. The best thing to do is ask,read reviews and go look at them to decide. What may be great for one may be junk to another.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.