• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New as well

redneckyota

Jul 23, 2005
Burlington NC
I hope I am posting a new topic but I don't see that option unless you click on somebody's other thread. I hope I am not running into thier thread.
I too am new to the CB world and was wanting some feedback on the connex "General Lee". I spoke with a local local driver here and he loves his but it has had some mods and he is still barefoot.
I also spoke with the local guy around here that does the mods and the driver's mods I spoke to he did his mods as well and he (the seller) said for the $$$ it couldn't be beat. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some feedback as far as what I could expect. I want to be HEARD but I am in a mini truck that is lifted and will see abuse (trail rides that will have some things that won't clear) as well as some road noise from the tiires and possibly some engine noise but that could just be a wireing problem. It is a older YOYO. Any help on how to get that out as well will be helpfull. ALso I hope to mount it to a older magna mount antenna. Should that pose a problem. The local guy around here has the knoledge to get me right (I think) I haven't heard any bad things about him. But he is selling me something. I know I am all over the place but any and all thoughts will be obsereved with a clear mind.
Thanks to all
Looks like this site will be a very good place to go for info and also to help the newbies out.
One last question I have heard some people using numbers ie this is baldlands joe #.....where do they get the #'s from...or... do they just pick them?
Thanx in advance
Lee

Well,i have said it before and i will say it agian.If your going off road then the only antenna to have on your truck is a 102 inch steel whip!They will take all the low tree limbs you can throw at it and last almost forever.Mount that sucker on your back bumper and forget about it!That being said a connex 3300 hp or a general lee(the same radio,different name) will do fine in an off road setup because they are both very well built and can take a lot of abuse.I have had one in a dump truck for the last year with no problems what so ever.As far as the mods to do to which ever radio you buy,you dont need more than a basic peak and tune for a connex to be a really loud talking radio and you will not have any problems getting out when you need to.U may also want to pick yourself up a road king mike because they will not pick up the outside or inside noise and will give your radio a nice clean clear sound. If you let someone put in what they call a swing kit or something that all you will have in the end is a radio that sounds like CRAP!And dont forget 18 feet of good coax,that crap they sell in most truck stops in nothing but junk!As far as the engine noise try running the hot wire that powers your cb to the battery and the ground wire straight to the frame.Take a grinder and clean off any dirt or rust so that its bare matel then once you have attached the ground in a place you will be happy with use some kind of sealent so that mosture will not cause the metal to rust agian and loose ground.Good luck and keep the sunny side up,happy wheeling!

Cant forget about the spring for the 102" whip! It will help when the whip hit something and help to bring it closer to a true quarter wave. Good luck and have Fun!!!!

Hope I did't mess up

I know I posted about the connex but last night one of the locals had a radio for sale............ well I bought it. It's a Galaxy DX44 cliped converted and tuned and it came with a general FC 390 freq counter, a superstar DM 452 mic, and a Wilson 1000 antena. On a 3 week old radio what would one expect to pay for this. I know what I gave and I hope I didn't get burnt. Also thanks for everyones input. I will be on the lookout for a spring loaded whip until then the magna mount will have to do. With this setup and the info from my earlier post what can I expect?
Thanks
Lee

Well not bad a wilson 1000 is a good antenna and if tuned properly it will work great. As for the price you paid for the radio you could have got a deal considering the radio is used. The antenna new is about $50-$60. If you can get the antenna tuned and everything else set up the radio should work good!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.