• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OCF dipole

Do loops work as well as other antennas? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. They do tend to have lower levels of signals but, they also have noise levels at a lower level too. Depending on a lot of things, a loop tends to be sort of 'quieter' than other antennas of the "open" type of structure (if that 'open' makes any sense). I've seen that 'lower' noise thingy, and it's true to some unknown point. Oh well, about the only thing you can do to really tell a difference is to do your own comparisons. That's a good idea, but not exactly the easiest thing to do.
- 'Doc

I have run many diferent wire antennas over the years and I keep going back to the loop. The noise floor will usually be less on the loop. I use the loop for rag chew I dont chase dx, maby thats why it works so well for me. The last test I made was between a fan dipole in inverted vee style, a double bazooka and my 75 meter loop. " all up at the same time" The loop recieved and transmitted almost the same as the vee but with much less noise. I could work weaker stations with the loop. the double bazooke was a waste of coax. tuned great but didnt perform. My test were only on 75 your milage might vary.

If you cant get a vee or flat top up in the air I think the loop will be better for you. The loop will be a cloud warmer but for 200-1000 miles it should do great.

Are you a dx chaser or a rag chewer?

Bottom line is put up what you can for a baseline then start building other antennas to see what works best for you.(y)

I have run many diferent wire antennas over the years and I keep going back to the loop. The noise floor will usually be less on the loop. I use the loop for rag chew I dont chase dx, maby thats why it works so well for me. The last test I made was between a fan dipole in inverted vee style, a double bazooka and my 75 meter loop. " all up at the same time" The loop recieved and transmitted almost the same as the vee but with much less noise. I could work weaker stations with the loop. the double bazooke was a waste of coax. tuned great but didnt perform. My test were only on 75 your milage might vary.

If you cant get a vee or flat top up in the air I think the loop will be better for you. The loop will be a cloud warmer but for 200-1000 miles it should do great.

Are you a dx chaser or a rag chewer?

Bottom line is put up what you can for a baseline then start building other antennas to see what works best for you.(y)

I had the same results, word for word with the above mentioned antennas.

Ended up using the loop as a recieve antenna and a 1/4 wave 75 meter vertical for transmit, worked out extremely well for DX.

Wire antennas will not do all you want them to do, DX, Rag chew, etc. etc most will be comprimise due to install height, etc, etc, etc. But they do work, and work rather well for rag chews and yes when propogation is in DX can be worked and has been worked with wires.

Build what you want to try, experiment with it, and most of all have fun, wire antennas is relatively in-expensive to make, fun to build and what the heck, you will have fun doing it.

Hint, Germany quad. 80metres loop feeding 2,5 balun. Original story was CQ-DL nr.2/82 on DL3FU Hans Aibrecht. It is multiband-antenna.
I found only finnish/swedish pages, sorry.

Saksalainen Loop Antenni

I use 80 metres loop only 80, and feeding it quarter wave 75 ohm cable. It matches perfect and work short distance well without noise.

Timo

And don't get fooled into thinking a loop is always a 'cloud warmer'. I've used one of those loops to WAC, and WAS several times. It also did pretty well into the far east on the higher bands. It may have warmed a few clouds, but those clouds weren't always over my house!
- 'Doc

very good info guys, I will def have a lot of fun with all the ideas. I am passing my pratice tests now and just want to study a little more to be sure.

I use hamtest online and it is great.

thanks

Check it out, this sounds easy. I am going to make on for 160 this weekend if I get my hony do list finished lol.

I have 75 ohm rg6 quad left over from my tv antenna install.

AP

Check it out, this sounds easy. I am going to make on for 160 this weekend if I get my hony do list finished lol.

I have 75 ohm rg6 quad left over from my tv antenna install.

AP

AP check what out, did not see a link or reference in the post, thanks.

Good luck on the exam.

Yes it is good info, have built one but I used ladderline and a tuner to work the hf bands
it is good 40 meter and below, just ok 20 meters and up, but it does work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.