• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old Ground Plane Antenna

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
Maybe someone has an idea if the antenna is or is not a CB antenna.
I was given a (possibly) twenty-year old (no coil) base antenna. I have no idea if it is a quarter-wave, half-wave of five-eight wave.
Total assembled length / height of center mast from the coax connector / SO 239 to the top is 17' 2-1/2".
Three radials. The length of each radial is 57-1/2". The diameter of each radial is 5/8". Yes, 5/8"! I have never seen 5/8" diameter radials.
They could probably support the weight of a small eagle.

Hard to be certain from here, but might be a 1/2wl for 10m based on the dimension of the vertical element. Bit short to be a 11m 1/2wave. Just a guess.

Radio Shack had a half wave base antenna with those dimensions called the "Archer Super Maxim 1/2 wave", part number 21-902.

Attachments

• super-maxim_21-902.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: unit_399
Radio Shack had a half wave base antenna with those dimensions called the "Archer Super Maxim 1/2 wave", part number 21-902.
Thank you sir! I'm guessing it must be a 70's era antenna.
I cannot install / use the three small radials on the top because the 10-32 mild steel screw had broken off.

1975!
From what I have found, the radials should be 52" long. The radials I have are 55" long. Maybe the original radials were replaced. Would the longer radials have an adverse effect on the performance of the antenna?

You can make up for no capacitance hat by making the vertical radiator a couple inches longer.
The slightly longer radials shouldn't harm the performance any as it's just there to be a counterpoise for the half wave radiator which is why the designers weren't concerned about not making them 9 foot. Additionally, 3 inches of each radial will be inside the ground radial clamp effectively making them 52" electrically.

You can make up for no capacitance hat by making the vertical radiator a couple inches longer.
The slightly longer radials shouldn't harm the performance any as it's just there to be a counterpoise for the half wave radiator which is why the designers weren't concerned about not making them 9 foot. Additionally, 3 inches of each radial will be inside the ground radial clamp effectively making them 52" electrically.
55" includes the area in the clamp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.