• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Portable Radio set-up for out door use.

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Was thinking of setting up a portable radio in one of those aluminum Cases from the Home depot.( looks like a briefcase ) Mount a radio small power supply make sure the case can close carry it back in the house when I am done or chance of rain etc.. Was going to set it up with an Imax 2000 moderately mounted maby 20' legnth of pipe for use by the pool Or I could go stealth with a Radiowavz bazooka antenna .( don't worry I am ground-fault protected. I think I would spend more time by the pool. Could also keep a cig plug adapter for a grab and go radio..:unsure:

I now have the Bearcat 980ssb I could buy the wireless mic. Radio room, walk thru kitchen then outside. and 50' to the pool. Question will the Mic work that far? :pop:

If you decide to go with the case, get a Pelican Case. They are impact fiber reinforced fiberglass, completely waterproof, got handles, easy to open and close, and any size you want from small to trunk size and custom sizes and shapes.

I have had one for years and still use it almost daily for my Cameras. You could easily drill a hole in it and insert an SO-239 with a weather cap on the back side. I can say from experience, these cases are strong. probably stronger than any thin metal case.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.