• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quad 6 or RCI 2970?

ClaimJumper

Mar 31, 2024
I want to replace my HR 2510. And I'm looking at the quad sixes because they're inexpensive. I'm also looking at the RCI 2970 Maybe an N4. Much more money for that. Is it worth it? Probably mostly do 10 m dxing.

Avoid anything made by Ranger, including all the sub-brands like Connex and Galaxy. The early version 2950's and 2970's were OK, but since then they have gone downhill and the newer ones are drifty junk with poor quality control.

6666 is a great radio, but the 5555N2 is even better, and only a wee bit more expensive. Anytone radios will give you the most bang for your buck.

Avoid anything made by Ranger, including all the sub-brands like Connex and Galaxy. The early version 2950's and 2970's were OK, but since then they have gone downhill and the newer ones are drifty junk with poor quality control.

6666 is a great radio, but the 5555N2 is even better, and only a wee bit more expensive. Anytone radios will give you the most bang for your buck.
And I think the 5555NII/QT-60, is closer in transition to a traditional 10m radio, like the HR-2510. Unlike the Ranger built lines, that are Export CB radios for the trucker crowd.

Reactions: Pez and BC Coyote
I want to replace my HR 2510. And I'm looking at the quad sixes because they're inexpensive. I'm also looking at the RCI 2970 Maybe an N4. Much more money for that. Is it worth it? Probably mostly do 10 m dxing.
I've got both radios you mentioned and while they are both good, the anytone is far ahead in technology by many aspects. Both have strong points but the anytone has more than the ranger. The one ranger wins in the match up is only in power, all other aspects the anytone takes the win..... easily!

I own several Rangers, 2950dx6, 2970n2, tre-797 and all work great once they're set up but all of my anytone ssb rigs were born ready.

As mentioned above, throw the 5555N2 into the equation and it takes the crown for less money than the Ranger, a tad more that the quad 6 and it will do your ham work really well too.

Just my thoughts

Why chickenbander for 10m DXing?
Just curious.
Mike
I already have an HF rig that runs 10 m, but I'm really after the 11 m with sideband. Though I won't use it very often. But since they make them that also have 10 and 12 m I figured I may as well stick with that type of unit.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Also look at the AT-5555NII. I personally stay away from RCI. The quality is just not there.
Hands down the quad5N2. Much nicer screen, easy to read, less quirks. Also, it is much more stable on sideband than both of the other radios. The 2970 would be the least stable, followed by the Q6, and then the Q5. The Q6 is not bad but when the temp in your vehicle changes, the Q6 isn’t nearly as stable as the Q5.

Reactions: Pez and ClaimJumper
Hands down the quad5N2. Much nicer screen, easy to read, less quirks. Also, it is much more stable on sideband than both of the other radios. The 2970 would be the least stable, followed by the Q6, and then the Q5. The Q6 is not bad but when the temp in your vehicle changes, the Q6 isn’t nearly as stable as the Q5.
Thank you for that info. I figured there would be a few folks out here that had experience with these radios who could give me some guidance.

Reactions: Pez and Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio