• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Remote operation with my cell phone

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
Wifi 110v outlet and app
Yaesu 847
Atu100 set to auto
135' ocfd
Desktop computer with internet
Rxtx app on android phone

This is such a nice setup for me. I use the wifi outlet to turn on the power supply that the radio and tuner are running from. The computer is on anyway so it's no issue. I can sit at work or in a motel and use the rxtx app to radio all over the world and not need another setup. I also have a 2m antenna tied into the rig and can talk to the local guys around the qth ad well.

A few disadvantages would be if the computer goes down and the backup power supply dies I dont have it setup to auto run the client. And if something happened to the antenna I wouldnt know it unless the signals drop as the app dosent have a swr meter built in to read off the radio, whichnis why I've got the tuner in line. Maybe it might stop bad stuff from frying the radio finals. Maybe. And of course theres the cell service and home internet connectivity issue if they went out.

Overall it's a slick setup. Once its running.

Nice!

I've been running HF remote operation for many years. I have different programs that can do it all.

I usually use the free Kenwood ARCP and ARVP software for rig control and audio.This software gives me full rig control and adjustments along with full metering just like sitting in front of the rig.

My Elecraft tuner has it's own remote client software so I can completely see and control the tuner and the 3 antenna ports so I can switch antennas. I also see the SWR and output power on this software

I can use either HRD or Remote Hams to operate my rotor.

My SS amp is an auto-band switching type and is switched on ready to go when the power supply is remotely turned on via internet controlled smart plug.

Most importantly, you should use Teamviewer so you can easily remotely access your computer in case you have to restart or change any software programs. I even have a phone app for Teamviewer and made changes with it. As long that my computer doesn't shut off, I have full acess and can even reboot it. Otherwise, someone at home will have to start it back up.

I do have a good UPS that will keep my computer running for quite a few hours.

Every September, I participate in the Rte66 on the air special event and I let a friend of mine operate my station from his location in Pennsylvania.

Remote operation is amazing technology and can be useful. There is a phone app version of Remote Hams but the delay is too much for nothing more than short QSO's.

As you go on with your remote operation, you'll find ways to expand your setup and overcome some of the shortfalls you mentioned.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.