• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

S9 or Omega....hmmm

Butcher318

Apr 13, 2005
I have been running a Delta Force for over three years now and have been very happy. I just bought an S3 on the forum here and was very impressed with how quiet the receive is. heck I only ran the S3 for just over a week and already want an S9 or Omega Force so I can have SSB. I hate to sell the S3 but gotta finance the new purchase. Is the receive on the Omega as good as the S3?

Hi Butcher, for what it's worth, I emailed Sam Lewis at RF Limited with the same question and he informed me that they redesigned the receiver front end in the S-9, trying to duplicate the AR3500.

I too owned a Delta Force for about 3 years (died on me!) and got the s-9. From what I gathered from Sam the Omega Force and Delta Force are more similar than the S9.

I can tell you from personal experience that the S9 rx is much better than the Delta Force. I'm not sure that the SSB rx on the S9 is quite up the standards of an AR3500 (definitely not a lincoln!) but it's 'good enough.'

Also, something on the S9 that I did not notice on the Delta Force is a slight warble in the all mode talkback on ssb mode. Not a big concern but just an observation.

hey Justin, I probably shouldn't do this but I was just wondering...

Do you say that the Magnum S9 is a copy of the 99 because you cary Galaxy and not RF Limited? Maybe you do but I did not see them listed on your site.

You may be absolutely right Justin and I plan on comparing the circuitry, but this just jumped out at me when I visited your site.

Jake

Butcher I had a Delta Force so I know where you are coming from. The receiver on the Omega Force is like night and day comparing the two and I use it mainly as my primary mobile but have used it as a base for a few weeks also and it is very impressive.
I cannot speak for the S-9. For me with it's features and performance the Omega for the money just can't be beat.

why did they mess with an already proven design our old cobra 148gtl dx/superstar 360fm with 3 crystal pb010aa/ab board, take one good cobra add some ssb vco swag a hint of graininess a good dose of bleedover and call it a superstar 3900 or galaxy pluto, why make a radio worse and not better, are any of these newer export radios as good as the pb010ab cobra or are they all crap like a magnum deltaforce,
what ever happened to the pb999 board that came in our president grants, they had an extra tuned coil in the local signal to the second mixer for am/fm which seems to me the reason they had such a good rx on am/fm since the rest of the rf stages are almost identical, i have never looked at the 10.240 signal to the mixer compared to the cobra board on a spectrum analyser but i would have a small wager its cleaner than in the other export radios, the grant was even better than the cobra with a quieter rx and better am/fm rejection in most peoples opinion over here, why do these manufacturers have a knack for taking a perfectly decent radio and screwing it up then glossing over what they did with advertising bs and an echo board?

You know, a friend of mine had a Superstar 360FM, sounded real good as I remember.

DX Vader, I hear ya. I love my Delta, it's had some extensive work done to it but it's just plain noisey. The Justin tuned S3 I have is stone silent on a quiet night. Justin I take it you don't like the Top gun thing then? Either way whatever you did it seems to be clear on or off, no complaints yet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.