• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tornado bit the dust

RT431

In the swamp
Dec 2, 2018
Nebraska
Well, the Sirio Tornado bit the dust. Not impressed with the quality. In a 30mph wind it snapped at the base. It did perform well up to that point. The trusty Imax 2k will go back up.
IMG_20240411_113235704_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240411_121731420_HDR.jpg

What a piece of junk ! You're not alone........I've heard other report recently of Sirio antennas not holding up well in winds.
Can't believe it only took 30MPH to snap it; my A-99 takes 50 to 70 MPH winds several times a year (I live on a small windy island), and while it whips around like crazy it's always straight as an arrow again when the wind dies down !

Reactions: RT431
What a piece of junk ! You're not alone........I've heard other report recently of Sirio antennas not holding up well in winds.
Can't believe it only took 30MPH to snap it; my A-99 takes 50 to 70 MPH winds several times a year (I live on a small windy island), and while it whips around like crazy it's always straight as an arrow again when the wind dies down !
I have one of their mobile antennas for about 4 yrs now and works flawless. Their base antennas,although they do perform well, the construction quality just isn't there.

Reactions: BC Coyote
Well, the Sirio Tornado bit the dust. Not impressed with the quality. In a 30mph wind it snapped at the base. It did perform well up to that point. The trusty Imax 2k will go back up.View attachment 68331View attachment 68332
Interesting. Been some years now, since Sirio claimed that they had the "NEW" Tornado, that was supposed to address that specific issue. I doubted that it was any better.

Reactions: RT431
30mph is nothing where I live, that antenna wouldn't make it long here either. Surprisingly the one I thought wouldn't survive has and it's a sigma 5/8 silver rod. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't own it. I've lost maco v58, workman 58, tram 1498 and others in panhandle winds.

Like mentioned above, I'd contact sirio for help, that's just not acceptable.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Recently we've had 60 mph winds here and I saw @undertaker s Tornado bending over like it wanted to touch the ground! That antenna was pointing due east. I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.