• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS-930S RF Power and ALC troubles

zambuten

Dec 29, 2008
Hi everybody!
I have a TS-930S, serial # 310XXXX, that I have left unused for about 6 months and that has worked fine always.
Recently I have thought about to work with it again but I have found a bad surprise: the output power is, somehow, discontinue, on all the bands, both in phone and in cw. I have written somehow because, for few instants, the RF power goes out all (100W), then, in following attempts of transmission, this becomes void and the alc, read on the meter of the rtx, goes crazy, going to high values and resulting not adjustable: even it doesn't setting to zero, rotating, according to the mode, the mic gain or carrier potentiometers. Setting power off the transceiver for a brief period and subsequently retrying, the condition is the same, RF power goes out to the first one or second pressure of the ptt or the key, then nothing more and uncontrollable alc. I have looked on web and I have thought that my problem could be resolvable with the solution shows on many sites, this one:
http://www.ham.dmz.ro/kenwood/ts-930...wer-output.php
Unfortunately that has not produced improvements.
Is there someone that had the same problem with this transceiver? Does someone have an idea where I can seek out the cause of the anomaly?
Meanwhile the study of the electric diagrams goes on... .

I think this is the link you were trying to show us?

Kenwood TS-930S (TS 930 S TS930S) mods reviews software and diagrams

I had a similar problem with my Icom 746pro. I had to send it in for repair. Turns out it was the driver that was bad. Then it happened again, but only on 15m. That time it was an internal tuner grounding issue. I would definately look at the internal tuner portion of the rig. A problem with that could certainly cause a problem like you're seeing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.