• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TX 350HD SWR Input Tuning Issue?

Is that with the amp off? Which it should be off...
Did you disable the tuner in the radio?

Antenna SWR is only calibrated and checked after the amp with the amp off and radio in AM or CW mode with a power level of 4-20w and only with a deadkey, no voice. Once you do that if you introduce more power or talk into the mike the extra power from modulation will make any analog SWR meter swing. Especially with the amp on. Anytime there is a deadkey power increase an analog SWR meter needs to be re-calibrated for the extra power.
The problem with having a radio with a antenna tuner built in is that it is designed to be connected to only an antenna when tuning. As soon as you add an amp inline the radio now tunes for the SWR before the amp which is an incorrect method as it will drastically change the SWR after the amp when it does its tuning.

I have an MFJ 1500w antenna tuner/meter after the amp. I can read the swr at the radio(TS-480HX with no built in tuner), but that is the SWR before the amp or in other words the amp input tune.
Try getting an SWR read after the amp with the tuner in the radio turned off and amp turned off and tell us what you get on both the swr meter on the radio and the swr meter after the amp with a deadkey only.
I will try what you have suggested, turn tuner off, recheck and report back, thank you for taking the time to explain that to me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.