• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VHF Marine Band

In short, YES, a license is required for marine VHF.

Not so easy to get, either, as you pretty much MUST have a vessel (that's a ship, boat or dingy, NOT a truck car or house) that is either voluntarily equipped or your vessel may be required to have a marine VHF in some instances.

Generally, you cannot get a VHF marine license for ANY land-based house/business/fancy, etc. unless you have something directly to do with the Marine Trades, Safety or Industry such as Sea Tow (TM), AT&T VHF Radiotelephone services, Joe-Bob's Boat Repair, Cucaracha Marina, etc.

'Fuzz

_____

Buttfuzz in the Mobile</p>

Hello IMD262:

Just like BF says there, you need to have a boat or marine business to get a Lic for the VHF Marine Band.

The news is often filled with guys who have used VHF marine band radios for other than the intended marine use. Its not a good idea to use these radios as its pretty well monitored, and used for saftey and emergency traffic.

The FCC has set aside 5 VHF FM frequencies for a Citizen Bands use, and no lic required. This new radio service is called the MURs radio service. Your allowed low power use, I think something like 2 watts.

The frequenciers are:

I have dialed these frequencies into my scanner and I hear a few locals on hand held radios, and such. A few of the locals have external antennas and constantly make 25 mile contacts.

Jay in the Mojave

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.