• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

xForce amp questions

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
confused on why the 400HD draws 100A, while the XM400 draws 85A.
how and why does the XM400 have more output than the 400HD even tho the 400HD has more amp draw..?
i do know you would need a dual final radio to drive the 400hd as to the XM400 lets you drive it with a 148, 29...959 etc........

is this accurate for the XM400:

Power Output (RMS) 400 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 900 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) N/A
Driven Power (PEP) N/A

so if you were to hit it more than should you could see more then 1kw? or is that just for S&G's?

Because the HI drive uses more or takes more drive power and you can get more output. The more you drive into the amplifier result is more amperage being used. For an example I can run my Texas Star 500 on a 52 amp pyramid power supply if Im running it at 20 watts in drive On SSB. If I run more the amplifier will output more resulting in power supply taxing and shutting down and I would need one of my bigger power supplies. Im guessing one of the models you listed has an extra driver final added and the other doesnt and can be driven with one of the newer mosfet 50 - 60 watt radios or an HF rig.

I would Answer no
The 400 HD would be a better choice in my opinion.
Never seen a reason to put a driver in front of 4 2879`s

Jeff

would a Magnum omega force s45HP drive a TS 500DX or a Xforce 400HD better OR TNT 600HD? trying to get the most output..:whistle:

i liked the s9 but too bad none are ever forsale and i really like the green display.

trying to figure out if xforce output numbers are accurate if i can get over 1kw from a 1x4 and use a cheap cb radio why get a expensive export with big output and a x4 box....
this all AM work. no SSB with an amp dont need it can work dx allday on 4w with mother nature:)

Last edited:
trying to figure out if xforce output numbers are accurate if i can get over 1kw from a 1x4 and use a cheap cb radio why get a expensive export
Do not plan on 4X2879 doing 1Kw in a standard car set up regardless of what is listed as the output.
You have to think how hard you are hitting the transistors to see big numbers out of 4 of them.
If you want a daily driver to do a KW "I" would want 8 2879`
and then you need the Amps to run it.
Running a kilowatt mobile can turn out to be work and $$

Jeff

Since you have a Cobra 148 I would look into the TnT line from X-Force. They are class B and have an auto SSB delay. The silver case X-Force amplifiers like the 400HD is a class C AM only amp.

I agree completely with Audioshockwav here. Those amplifiers with the drivers are sometimes a pain and can be very finicy due to overdriving the transistors in the amplifier to their saturation point resulting in an utter mess. A radio alone is enough for a driver for 4 X 2SC2879 It will give plenty of power output on AM and SSB and most of all cleanly providnig its done with an AB biased amplifier. .

Class C is tricky and luck of the draw Class C just has that funky scratchy sound and should not polute the SSB airwaves with its ear bleeding skin crawling sound. A single final or dual final 20 - 30 watt radio will drive 2SC2879 transistors nicely .

its been a while since iv had a cb radio so i bought a magnum s45hp today 10 meter..... now i need a four peel behind it so i can talk crazy on toilette bowl 6

stick a 1600V behind the 45HP .
a TS 350 or 500 would be nice for that classic ol' 148F .

cobra 148f & a XM400 a good match up?
The Cobra 148 is a good old radio but, if u wanna run something good with that 400HD, i would suggest an export radio like a stryker or magnum. I run an Xforce x200 with a magnum 257 and they both match up really great. i have talked all over DX land with that setup i got. Another suggestion you could possibly do is get an export radio with a built in kicker?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.