• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu ft-1900r

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
Is this radio worth buying for use on 2 meters. Also if I get the radio before I get my licence, I am alowed to listen as long as I don't transmit right? Also what is going to be a good antenna to use. I know that were I live in a valley a mobile with a 102 inch whip will get out about 6 to 10 miles to another mobile, but I have talked up to 30 miles away to another base station with my mobile in my yard. Thats why my base antenna is on top of the mountian. But I will not be able to put this antenna up there too. How far do you think I will be able to get out with the antenna about 15 feet up in my yard. I am hoping to get out 30 to 40 miles to some of the nearest stations is this possible?

Last edited:

Yeasu makes some very nice radios,cant go wrong getting that one as long that is what you are after.I personally use an Icom IC 2200H, I am very pleased with the radios performance and ease of use

2 meter is by far the most popular band in most areas and uses repeaters to extend their range ,it is common to get up to 50 + miles when accessing a repeater...some areas 100 miles or more as long as both stations can get into the repeater

Simplex (or non repeater use) I would say 30 miles or so depending on area you are in

Base antenna.....There are several companies that sell base antennas that work very well.A 3 or 4 element 2 meter beam is small enough to hold in your hand and does a pretty good job getting out,even no higher than you are wanting to set it up,and they dont require a huge rotar to turn them.But try to get the antenna as high as possable.

It is also possable , and alot cheaper, to make your own antenna for 2 meter,there are plans that you can get online for free.Just look up "2 meter j pole antenna " ,there are calculators that will give you all the dementions that you will need to make the antenna.

I made one for my 2 meter radio in just a couple of hours out of 1/2 inch rigid copper water pipe...and it does a pretty good job...cost...under 20$..all you need is a propane torch to solder it together and you are on the air

Here is the one that I used to make my antenna
J POLE ANTENNA DESIGN CALCULATOR by K4ABT

just put in the frequency( I used 146.000 mhz) and your numbers will show up...just cut everything to the numbers that you are given and solder it all together...for the coax hookup ..the so-239 ,I used a 1/2 inch metal stud framing screw to attach the so 239 and a shorter metal stud screw to attach the wire to the feed point and soldered those in place as well

Mobile antenna....I personally am using a Larson NMO 150 mag mount...cost about 50$ ....and it works really well,...this antenna is the second one that I have had in 12 years,and I am sold on this antenna...I have hit repeaters that are over 50 miles from me without to much trouble and if I have a bit of elevation 100 miles is very possable

Thanks, I think this radio will be my next purchase after I get my license. I can go 20 feet on the antenna that should work. The closest reapeter is probably 30 miles so I should reach it fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.