• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM350AR with external KPC3 TNC

RBMTS

Nov 21, 2012
Hi all,
So I know that I a not able to use the internal TNC of the FTM350 for anything other than APRS. So what I'd like to do is connect my external KPC3 (or plus) to the rear data port so that I can use the radio for Winlink and other packet modes. What I am confused about is what cable I use and how I setup the menus.

My goal is to use the 'right" sub band for packet so that the left main band can be for voice. I assume I need to make sure that I turn off the internal radio modem since the external TNC will control the data sending and keyup. I have the menu setup to do "data" via the right side band. Is that all I need to do?

Second question would be what Yaesu cable will allow for this? I need to connect to the TNC via a 9 pin serial connector. However it appears that the Yaesu cable CT140 or CT142 (for DSub 9 connectors) do not have the PKS (PTT) connection. So how does the radio know to keyup to send the packet data?

I have the RTSystems USB programming cable and tried to get that to work but did not have any success.

I see some instances where external TNC's have been connected to the FTM-350 but just not sure how the wiring is done. Any help with clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

It sounds to me like you have the right idea on the radio settings. You're going to need a different cable to hook up to the TNC, though - you can't do it using a regular programming cable. The Yaesu CT-140 cable should do the trick:

Yaesu CT-140 Data Cable CT140

I thought about the CT-140 however the Dsub-9 connector has the RTS & DTS lines and the Mini-Din6 connector has the PKS (PTT) line. So in some way I'd have to tie the two together back to a single Dsub9 serial plug for the TNC.

I guess what I am going to have to do is see if I have any old Apple cables that have the mini-din 8 plug or go buy blank plugs to do some experimental wiring to get the FTM350 talking directly to the KPC-3 through that data jack and keep my fingers crossed that the menu settings will allow that.

Thanks much.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.