• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ZF2ZB....Caymen Island Dxpedition....

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
After checking into two different Skywarn nets in two different Counties last night, I decided to hang around the shack and play a little radio for a while. On a whim I tuned up the 20 meter band, this was at around 9:30 at night eastern time, so you really can't expect much from the 20 meter band 1 1/2 hours past Grey line time, but there was an opening, and I stumbled across the ZF2ZB Dxpedition out of the Cayman Islands, they were calling for 5's only, then worked their way through the 4's, 3's, then it was my turn with the 2 call zone.
It took 3 calls, but number 3 was the charm, and I got a confirmed contact with them.

I completely missed out on getting into the Desecho Island Dxpedition, so this kinda makes up for it.....;)

QSL card is going out with today's mail......(y)

Nice contact there. I've noticed that 20 meters DX activity is starting to pick up more often at night now. Keep an eye on it, you might get a rare one.

Back in January and February most of my 20 and 40 meter Dx contacts were at night, there always seemed like somewhere on either of those bands was an open gate to Europe, os South America. About half way through February it shut off.
There's been one or two rare evenings since, but nothing like it was the first month and a half of this year.....

I worked them on both 20 & 10 meters last weekend from FM17.
10 meters was the shocker for me. Mid morning, and really didn't think I had a good shot at them on what is essentially a 40m dipole using a tuner.
I've seen various model plots on this antenna and "it ain't perty" on 10m.
Got lucky. (y)

I worked them on both 20 & 10 meters last weekend from FM17.
10 meters was the shocker for me. Mid morning, and really didn't think I had a good shot at them on what is essentially a 40m dipole using a tuner.
I've seen various model plots on this antenna and "it ain't perty" on 10m.
Got lucky. (y)

At least you can tune up on 10m, I can't seem to get any of my antennas to tune up on that band...random wire, 40m dipole, not even a Shakespeare Super Big Stick.....besides the fact that 10 meters has been pretty much dead every time I check that band.....

Anyway...I liked the way this guy operated on this Cayman Island Dxpedition, he kept it under control, didn't hesitate to tell the ignorant operators to back off and wait their turn, and took everybody one call zone at a time until everyone from each of the call zones had a fair and equal chance to make a confirmed contact.
So many of these events turn into a cluster f**k, and those running them do nothing about it as long as they get the numbers they want, so it turns out to be a compition of who's got the most equipment money can buy sort of thing because the only guys getting through are the guys with the high tower, multi antenna, multi-kilowatt super stations.....

ZF2ZB made sure it didn't run like that, and I didn't mind waiting an hour and a half for my turn, it came and I got my special DX contact......(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.