• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2980 WX Replacement Finals

Shadetree Mechanic

Delaware Base Station 808
Oct 23, 2017
The First State (Delaware)
I have a 2980WX with mosfet finals, and the SWR is really high. It transmits on frequency, and none of my other radios do this. I would like to put the correct 2sc2312 finals and 2sc2166c driver in it. Does anyone know a good place to get them? I see them on eBay and Amazon, but I don't know if they will be fake junk.

Thanks
Chris

I have a 2980WX with mosfet finals, and the SWR is really high. It transmits on frequency, and none of my other radios do this. I would like to put the correct 2sc2312 finals and 2sc2166c driver in it. Does anyone know a good place to get them? I see them on eBay and Amazon, but I don't know if they will be fake junk.

Thanks
Chris
Send me a PM

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yes if The radio has mosfets, bipolar transistors will not drop in.

I have used hg transistors with very minor adjustment as replacements for Mitsubishi transistors.

Jeff
Yes, I was hoping that I could put everything back to the prints and it would be good. If the HG need something different than stock, I am not sure how to tell what they would need.

Yes, I was hoping that I could put everything back to the prints and it would be good. If the HG need something different than stock, I am not sure how to tell what they would need.
Was yours a bipolar to start with and someone modded it for fets? I know early 2980's were bipolar but like the 2517 they eventually switched to mosfets in production.

Was yours a bipolar to start with and someone modded it for fets? I know early 2980's were bipolar but like the 2517 they eventually switched to mosfets in production.
I am thinking someone converted it to FETs because I only see the bipolar version on CBTricks. It was kind of an odd ball radio with the WX function. It uses an outboard weather receiver bolted to the inside of the chassis as an add on.

Here is the victim, I was expecting some kind of "EKL" parts to make the FETs work. Maybe someone just slapped the FETs in there and called it good? My next move is to compare it to the bipolar schematic when I get more time. I should probably look at the FET version 2980 schematic too.

IMG_20240518_175700377_HDR.jpgIMG_20240518_175717825_HDR.jpgIMG_20240518_175731584_HDR.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.