• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 and 12 m exports

Anyway, I got way off topic.
This is the Gen Ham section......back on subject.
As Tim already said, As Long as you have your License and you are permitted by the class of license that you hold, to use ten meters, you can use any of these radios that we have been talking about on the ten meter band.You can build your own if you like, buy a radio, modify another type of radio to work on the band....or even use the proverbial "toaster" if you can get it to send CW.
If it sounds like crap because you have not designed it correctly before you built it, or you have converted it with the ALC disabled in the radio, you will get told about it, and most guys ( not all ) will often suggest ways to help you solve the problem.
THAT IS HOW HAM RADIO IS SUPPOSED TO WORK>
Some guys just don`t get it today.If you hear a fellow ham on the radio, and he has a problem with his transmitter, the true spirit of the hobby is to tell him, ask him questions, and offer advise on how to improve his station, in in doing so help your fellow ham improve his knowledge of radio and that in-turn helps improve the hobby for everyone else, and that is how it is supposed to be.
it is intended to provide an atmosphere that encourages each other to learn and try new ideas.
Bottom Line is yes, IF you want a single band 10 meter rig, many of the exports work just Jim Dandy.
An even cheaper way to go is to simply get a used SSB 40 channel CB and re rock it for Ten Meters and go for it.

Jeff

Yes, and sadly, I've heard many ops blithely continue on and refuse to tell the other guy he has a legitimate problem. I've even heard stations ask a net control about the quality of their signal and be told they sound great when in fact they are more like 293 instead of 599.

The few times I've had a problem someone has told me. I was glad they did (not glad I had a problem, though) as it is imperative that my signal be as good as I can muster.

As for the 150 mile limit on CB, it is a holdover from an earlier time. Class D CB was initially created as a business and personal radio service. If anyone was interested in hobby radio they were pointed toward amateur radio. As CB was a licensed radio service and stations were required to use their associated assigned callsign, it was a rather simple matter for the FCC to enforce the limit. As channels were limited and not assigned to any one station, it was up to stations to cooperate to mitigate interference and keeping communications local by rule was part of that.

There were at least two major factors that brought us the CB of today. First, CB became a hobbyist radio service whether the FCC admitted it or not. Second, the fuel crisis of the early '70s and the resulting popular culture influence of avoiding speed traps due to the imposition of the national 55 MPH speed limit caused a previously unimagined number of people to buy a CB. The FCC first tried to relieve the congestion by expanding CB to 40 channels which was really too little too late. Then, faced with budget cuts, dropped licensing completely and made the service "licensed by rule". By this time (the early '80s) businesses had long given up on CB and moved to Part 90. The cell phone took the last of those who used CB for personal communications and the hobbyists have given way to the outlaws and scofflaws for the most part and only the truckers remain as perhaps the only legitimate users of the service these days. And even too many of them are using illegal equipment. I just ask that they stay off the amateur allocations and I won't care what they do.

Well I am not advocating radio pirates, I am just saying that us radio enthusiast are being oppressed by too many rules, And not that rules arent good in moderation, but thats just my opinon, or 2 cents if you would.
And us C.Bers are not all rednecks or hillbillies and should not be classified as a whole as such.

T23

"us radio enthusiast are being oppressed by too many rules"

That has go to be about the silliest thing I've ever heard. 'Oppressed'?
- 'Doc

I just ask that they stay off the amateur allocations and I won't care what they do.[/QUOTE said:
I think this is how all amateur operators look at it what people do is there business aslong as its not bothering someone else in an area where the freebander is not autorized to even be remotely close to. The problem is that some of these truck drivers and other freebanders were pushing the envelope and were slowly or gradually finding there way to and using the lower secticion of 10 meters.

Again this is there choice and gamble but they know its not a good idea and a gamble to even attempt it. I personally could care less what someone does again its there choice but if Im talking to my wife or someone else on another band and there cross channeling me or causing any havoc then it does matter to me where they are or what there doing.

It all boils down to something we all posess (BRAINS) use them and if you choose not to thats fine but we all make our own bed that we sleep in and thats the way it is we make our own choices sometimes there not always the right ones but thats how we learn I guess but a bad choice leading to forfittiing thousands of dollars anmd possibly radio equipment worth hundreds to thousands has to make people think (was it really worth it??)

Theres no reason why any amateur operator should attack a cb operator or a cb operator attack a amateur operator unless there a good reason but this is an ongoing thing just with some people not all but I here it all the time it all comes down to RESPECT and MAKING GOOD CHOICES period.

I talk Amateur and I talk LSB CB as a matter of fact I started out on CB and decided to further my horizons with Ham radio I check into nets on amateur radio and check into a CB net on Tuesdays. Theres a few 10 meter radios that really do sound fantastic on 10 and 12 meters so if you own one and are licensed by all means use that things capabilities.

Besides in this day and age keeping a nice HF rig in a vehicle is really a gamble on its own bad or low economy leads to theft and Ide rather have a $300.00 radio taken if any and not a $600.00 - $1,000 radio ;)

Last edited:
well i think this was a good thread. To me though, it is taking a turn for the worse so i am not going to follow up any more to this thread.

keep it on track and no personal attacks everyone

well i think this was a good thread. To me though, it is taking a turn for the worse so i am not going to follow up any more to this thread.

keep it on track and no personal attacks everyone

YEE HAW!!! no more stupid rules!.... "us (forum) enthusiasts are being oppressed by too many rules" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think this is how all amateur operators look at it what people do is there business aslong as its not bothering someone else in an area where the freebander is not autorized to even be remotely close to. The problem is that some of these truck drivers and other freebanders were pushing the envelope and were slowly or gradually finding there way to and using the lower secticion of 10 meters.

Again this is there choice and gamble but they know its not a good idea and a gamble to even attempt it. I personally could care less what someone does again its there choice but if Im talking to my wife or someone else on another band and there cross channeling me or causing any havoc then it does matter to me where they are or what there doing.

It all boils down to something we all posess (BRAINS) use them and if you choose not to thats fine but we all make our own bed that we sleep in and thats the way it is we make our own choices sometimes there not always the right ones but thats how we learn I guess but a bad choice leading to forfittiing thousands of dollars anmd possibly radio equipment worth hundreds to thousands has to make people think (was it really worth it??)

Theres no reason why any amateur operator should attack a cb operator or a cb operator attack a amateur operator unless there a good reason but this is an ongoing thing just with some people not all but I here it all the time it all comes down to RESPECT and MAKING GOOD CHOICES period.

I talk Amateur and I talk LSB CB as a matter of fact I started out on CB and decided to further my horizons with Ham radio I check into nets on amateur radio and check into a CB net on Tuesdays. Theres a few 10 meter radios that really do sound fantastic on 10 and 12 meters so if you own one and are licensed by all means use that things capabilities.

Besides in this day and age keeping a nice HF rig in a vehicle is really a gamble on its own bad or low economy leads to theft and Ide rather have a $300.00 radio taken if any and not a $600.00 - $1,000 radio ;)

Exactly. What is perceived by some to be attacks on CBers as a group by me is actually directed at those "freebanders" and RF outlaws who show up on allocations on which they have no business. IOW, they interfere with me as a legitimate user of both amateur and certain NTIA-governed frequencies above and below 27 MHZ, and, yes, I resent it! It tickles me to see these kinds suffer fines and try to squirm out of it in vain. They KNEW what they were doing, they did it anyway, and now find themselves in deep trouble, paying $$ they can't afford because they felt they had some inate "right" to filch frequencies from others with their "bands of 'channels'" and non-certified equipment. These kinds of persons I DO ridicule because they represent the lawless among us, the very same kind that would break into one's house and STEAL something because they feel they have a "right" to take that which does not belong to them. It has little to do with CBers per se; its just those who take it a step farther and go outside that which they are entitled to, straying into 10 and 12 Meters "because they can". These I do treat with derision and scorn the same I would a thief or an embezzler. Thieves and embezzlers TAKE that which does not belong to them; CB outlaws take, steal, misappropriate----whatever you want to call it------that which does not belong to them by ignoring, trampling the rules that govern radio, and that includes the purchase and use of these non-certified radios that show up ON others' frequencies. It's just TOO, TOO tempting to "talk on them funny channels" for some of us. So the ones who respected other users by following the law to obtain privileges have to find truckers and other operators up in 10 Meters happily yakkin' away. They think they belong there. And those who believe I am "attacking CBers" jump on me because I don't LIKE it and talk trash about those illegal clowns. We can't seem to separate the two things: CBers and illegal outlaws whom I have nothing but contempt for. If that is "bad", then..........well, I'm sorry; it's the way I feel! I don't want these %$#@* so 'n so's ON those frequencies. Regular CB operators that obey the laws of the land, I have nothing but kindness for!

CWM

27.555 is an international call freq, as well as many of those freqs above 27.405 and below 28.000. The US is the only country that doesn't recognize that officially as far as I know. I'd like to see the US try to enforce compliance in the Caribbean and South America when skip is in - to keep them off of their 'guvment freq's' - HA! Not gonna happen. They should reconsider, drop back ten yards and punt. But don't expect them to do the right thing. I don't. Most freebanders know where the guvment freqs are - and stay off of them anyway.

As far as non-Hams using 10m - some might do it - but I have never heard it happen at all. That's rehashing old crap; but some will do use this to try to reinforce their arguments.

27.555 is an international call freq, as well as many of those freqs above 27.405 and below 28.000. The US is the only country that doesn't recognize that officially as far as I know. .

Uhhhh---WHAT??!!

I don't think so. It is a DE FACTO calling frequency, not recognized "officially" by ANY government. It is 100 percent illegal on a global scale. Fun, but unauthorized.

Uhhhh---WHAT??!!

I don't think so. It is a DE FACTO calling frequency, not recognized "officially" by ANY government. It is 100 percent illegal on a global scale. Fun, but unauthorized.

Fine.
Mexico is on the freqs above .405 nearly 100% of the time. Screws up whatever rule we make - making it null an void anyway. Not to mention South America too. Don't know if you hear it up there in Illinois; but in CA we get a snoot full of it.

Like I said, I wan't sure of the law. But they have made it useless - is the point.

Fine.
Mexico is on the freqs above .405 nearly 100% of the time. Screws up whatever rule we make - making it null an void anyway. Not to mention South America too. Don't know if you hear it up there in Illinois; but in CA we get a snoot full of it.

Like I said, I wan't sure of the law. But they have made it useless - is the point.

Then I will use whatever "weapons" I have at my disposal; talk right over the top of them using what ever mode is legal for the band; it could be Packet, Pactor, RTTY or CW at the 1500 watt level! I will do what I can to interfere with THEM just as they interfere with me, the difference being they have no right to BE on 10 Meters at all. If they show up with their AM signals, I will call CQ right on TOP of them. Illegal stations have NO protection from LEGAL stations using their duly licensed privileges and said legal stations have NO obligation to NOT interfere with their communications nor must they stand by for their bootleg activities! If it messes them up....GREAT!!! I've heard truckers complain about "those beep-beep stations on th' channel". :LOL: GOOD! Serves 'em right!!!! They have not a clue as to their illegality. If they are local, or I happen to be traveling and hear them yappin', I will seek out, particularly if they are filching the NTIA frequencies, document and report their info to the Feds!:eek: IN fact, this kind of reporting is REQUIRED of frequency managers for government users who are authorized for various operations in FEMA and military stations. That's really all I can do, but I WILL do it when I encounter it. Just stay ON CB, OK? Don't come knocking where you don't belong and there's no probs!

For the legal ones who simply stay ON the CB band, I say "more power to you ( [pardon the pun)so long as you don't interfere with me"! It's just that simple!

CWM

Hear! Hear! (y)
I do the same thing on 10. If I hear 'em, watch out! Here in Canada, we have no official band-plans, and can use any mode, anywhere. If I hear a bootlegger/pirate/outlaw on 28.045 etc., I'll load up the amp, and talk to a local buddy on AM, or whatever mode causes the most damage. Screw 'em.

On the other hand, I'm not to excercised about what they do on non-amateur frequencies. Let 'em have their fun. Here in Canada, the spectrum from 27.405 to 27.990 is shared between paging and municipal land mobile. Today, licenses are few and far between. There are still some remote, rural municipalities up there, but I suspect those licenses are unused, as most small towns have gon to VHF/UHF or higher.

Then I will use whatever "weapons" I have at my disposal; talk right over the top of them using what ever mode is legal for the band; it could be Packet, Pactor, RTTY or CW at the 1500 watt level! I will do what I can to interfere with THEM just as they interfere with me, the difference being they have no right to BE on 10 Meters at all. If they show up with their AM signals, I will call CQ right on TOP of them. Illegal stations have NO protection from LEGAL stations using their duly licensed privileges and said legal stations have NO obligation to NOT interfere with their communications nor must they stand by for their bootleg activities! If it messes them up....GREAT!!! I've heard truckers complain about "those beep-beep stations on th' channel". :LOL: GOOD! Serves 'em right!!!! They have not a clue as to their illegality. If they are local, or I happen to be traveling and hear them yappin', I will seek out, particularly if they are filching the NTIA frequencies, document and report their info to the Feds!:eek: IN fact, this kind of reporting is REQUIRED of frequency managers for government users who are authorized for various operations in FEMA and military stations. That's really all I can do, but I WILL do it when I encounter it. Just stay ON CB, OK? Don't come knocking where you don't belong and there's no probs!

For the legal ones who simply stay ON the CB band, I say "more power to you ( [pardon the pun)so long as you don't interfere with me"! It's just that simple!

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.