• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 meter polorization

I'd go vertical - probably.

Obviously, a mobile antenna would be vertical. It might make working direct path a bit more difficult with horizontally-polarized stations, but that's a decision only you can make.

For DX (not just a couple counties away), vertical and don't look back.

I'd go vertical - probably.

Obviously, a mobile antenna would be vertical. It might make working direct path a bit more difficult with horizontally-polarized stations, but that's a decision only you can make.

For DX (not just a couple counties away), vertical and don't look back.

I'm curious why you would suggest the antenna (complete assumption that he IS talking about a yagi) be mounted vertically for DX.

Don't you lose some gain right off the bat with a vertically mounted yagi and won't the mast/tower interfere with the pattern of the antenna? You'll have 8 feet or so of element running alongside. Then there's the issues of more noise with a vertically polarized antenna, take off angle and wind loading.

I would probably mount is vertically only if I were going to use it locally base to mobile or to chat with the locals on 10. Even then probably not with anything more than 3 elements.

normaly i would say horizontal. I see you are in mid michigan. There is a group on 28.305 in the morning, and they are all running A99's vertical. So although hor is the better choice, if you want to talk to these guys, you will need vert. When i had an A99 sticking out of the top of a tree, i could talk from Port huron to the Midland area. Now with the 3 ele tribander on horz, i cant.
Rich

If you plan to talk to your mobile and you don't drive half a state away, I think a vertical antenna would be a good idea.
- 'Doc

I'm curious why you would suggest the antenna (complete assumption that he IS talking about a yagi) be mounted vertically for DX.

Don't you lose some gain right off the bat with a vertically mounted yagi and won't the mast/tower interfere with the pattern of the antenna? You'll have 8 feet or so of element running alongside. Then there's the issues of more noise with a vertically polarized antenna, take off angle and wind loading.

I would probably mount is vertically only if I were going to use it locally base to mobile or to chat with the locals on 10. Even then probably not with anything more than 3 elements.

Well, he said a "monoband 10 meter antenna" withoug specifying just what type - yagi, quad or whatever. I usually go with Occam's Razor and pick the simplest antenna, which would be a vertical. (If he'd said "vertical or flat side", whatever that means, I would have known he was talking about a beam).

And for DX, a well-installed 1/4 wave vertical does very well against a horizontal 1/2 wave dipole.

I am new and have no experience on 10 meters so I don't know what most people are doing. I meant omnidirectional compared to dipole. I've seen some 10 meter antennas that look like CB antennas (5/8?). My main goal in setting up the station is to talk to the mobile though.

If main Objective is to talk to your mobile..
Set up a Vertical Base antenna.

5/8 waves are excellent
since you likely will be talking locally to the mobile a 1/4 wave will likely do fine as well..

or go with simply an A99 or Imax 2000

myself i use and like the Interceptor I-10K Although many call it pricey

try the 500 or possibly the Maco V58 or 5000. Personally I had an Imax last 1 winter before it died. I'm in Ontario about 50 miles eastof Lake Huron so I get some good weather here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    C'mon let me take you on a Sea Cruise! (Maybe there is someone to talk to out there?)
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Just for the Halibut.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Seems to be dead on the radio lately. I don't know if the conditions are horrible, or more likely my weak antennas. I may head up in the mountains on Wednesday and see if reception / transmission is improved.