• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102 inch whip

Jul 23, 2008
has anyone ever tried a groundplane kit on a 102 inch whip and if so how well did it work?

I guess that just depends on exactly how you mean 'groundplane'. If you're talking about on a mobile, the vehicle's body is the groundplane. Adding more to that is sort of non-productive, especially the little clamp on thingys you see advertised. They ain't a groundplane in any sense of the word.
If you mean a 102" whip used as a base antenna, sure, adding a groundplane is certainly how to do that. Then you get to play with the particular size/shape of tht groundplane, that ought'a be fun. Has it been done? Yes, quite often. Does it always turn out good? Uh... no, but then it typically isn't done exactly 'right', sort of.
- 'Doc

One of my favorite antenna was exactly what you are asking for. A quarter wave ground plane with three quarter wave ground radials. it was made of aluminum though. Nicknamed a "droopy drawers" because of the elements shape. Worked quite well and was extremly simple. Not the best at anything, but was easy to assemble and raise and took weather with ease. Talked all over the states on it.

i meant in mobile use since many of the popular antennas like wilson make grounplane kits now.

I have no idea if Wilson makes a 'groundplane kit' or not. I would suspect that they are smarter than that though. Anything that connects to the vertical portion of the antenna, the 'radiating' part, is not a groundplane, can't do anything that a groundplane would be useful for. It's a 'gimick', a magical device that transfers money from your pocket to 'theirs', that's it. Don't fall for all the advertising garbage you hear about them.
They can be useful in particular cases though, but as a 'capacity hat', not a groundplane. If you have use for such a device, they should work. If not, don't be fooled into thinking they are something they just can't be. There's enough of that sort of garbage floating around now.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.