• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10k.Boy was i wrong!

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
In the past i have had nothing good to say about the 10k antenna and for the record let me say now that i was very wrong!I have always loved my 102 steel whip.Thats what i have used for along time but after hearing all of the good things about the 10k i went out and got one for myself.I tried the 10k out and after a week or so of use for whatever reason i saw no increase in performance over the 102 so i never used the 10k again.Mind you that this had been over a year or so ago since i last used it and in that time the 10k looked very nice sitting in the corner of my radio room.Well this past week i thought just for the hell of it i would try it once more.Now im not sure what was wrong with my setup the last time i tried it,maybe a bad coax or something but man let me tell you this thing ROCKS!My receive and transmit performance has gone way up,how do i know?Well i drive around 60 miles to work each way and before with my whip talking to the wife was sometimes hard to do.I could hear her and she could hear me but it was nothing to write home about.But now i can hear her like she is sitting right beside me,totaly blew my mind that she now comes in as strong as she does.I had her to record me this past friday while i was on my way home(60 miles away)and i think its the best that i have ever sounded.I find it very hard to beleive that this antenna can perform so well over anything i have ever used before,its just like night and day.

I just want all here to know that all the BS i said about the 10K was just that,BS.This has got to be the very best antenna for mobile use there is!

King Mudduck said:
In the past i have had nothing good to say about the 10k antenna and for the record let me say now that i was very wrong!I have always loved my 102 steel whip.Thats what i have used for along time but after hearing all of the good things about the 10k i went out and got one for myself.I tried the 10k out and after a week or so of use for whatever reason i saw no increase in performance over the 102 so i never used the 10k again.Mind you that this had been over a year or so ago since i last used it and in that time the 10k looked very nice sitting in the corner of my radio room.Well this past week i thought just for the hell of it i would try it once more.Now im not sure what was wrong with my setup the last time i tried it,maybe a bad coax or something but man let me tell you this thing ROCKS!My receive and transmit performance has gone way up,how do i know?Well i drive around 60 miles to work each way and before with my whip talking to the wife was sometimes hard to do.I could hear her and she could hear me but it was nothing to write home about.But now i can hear her like she is sitting right beside me,totaly blew my mind that she now comes in as strong as she does.I had her to record me this past friday while i was on my way home(60 miles away)and i think its the best that i have ever sounded.I find it very hard to beleive that this antenna can perform so well over anything i have ever used before,its just like night and day.

I just want all here to know that all the BS i said about the 10K was just that,BS.This has got to be the very best antenna for mobile use there is!

yeah i was the same way i ran wilson for years so i got one(10k) at a truck stop and i never used another antenna since that day . I use to burn wilson antennas every 6 months weather i burn the coil crack the plastic whatever ihave had a 10k for almost 2years and they are awsome!!!!!

I have to ask. Why is it better technically? I understand and am not questioning the integrity of your personal observations, just wann know why. Splain it to me Lucy........

Welcome to the 10K club Kingmudduck

Yes they do work very well. Beautifully constructed and light for a open coil. Beats anything else I've tried. And the best part is that the builder Kale is a class act.

Welcome to the 10K world.

PS Better late to the party than never attending

d

I've done alot of testing in the past with the 10k and the 102" whip. I have had to change the location of the 102" many times to finally find the "perfect" spot. I now have a 1.1 through about 50 channels and almost no reflect with the 102" whip. But still can't get below 1.3 with the 10k no matter where it is mounted. They perform with almost no noticeable difference. Even with the whip bending and whipping going down the road, still almost flat swr and reflect. High reflect no matter where the 10k is mounted. I used to swear by the 10k, now it's a 102" world for me.

LoneWolf TN

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Ya I got the same problem with mine.
I've done some compairing, for now I still think for the money the 102" is still the best bang all around price and all.
I got all kinds from K-40, wilson1000-5000, Firestik ect.
That ol' $25 102" seems to have that extra ounce with the local and DX.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
In real world tests that i have done,60 miles away from my home talking with the 10k then the 102 steel whip to my wife at home on the base with a Imax 2000 60 feet in the air there is a huge difference in transmit and receive.Done this test many times since the 1st post was made.As far as the swr goes....With the steel whip i get 1.3 with the 10K i get 1.1 from 1 to 40.Maybe the low numbers have something to do with the truck its on or that i really took the time in the install i dont know.But i do know that going from receive signal of 2 s units on my mobile to a 5 with my wife talking 60 miles away and the fact that i came in so much stronger to her(she recorded it for me)Leads me to the conclusion that 10K's do kick azz!

Re: d

LoneWolf TN said:
I've done alot of testing in the past with the 10k and the 102" whip. I have had to change the location of the 102" many times to finally find the "perfect" spot. I now have a 1.1 through about 50 channels and almost no reflect with the 102" whip. But still can't get below 1.3 with the 10k no matter where it is mounted. They perform with almost no noticeable difference. Even with the whip bending and whipping going down the road, still almost flat swr and reflect. High reflect no matter where the 10k is mounted. I used to swear by the 10k, now it's a 102" world for me.

LoneWolf TN
LoneWolf, I don't know what kind of vehicle you are mounting the 10K on or where you have it mounted but there is a possibality that you might not have the best 10K for the vehicle you are mounting it on. I build 10K's with two coils and single coils and 6 different length shafts for just about every type of vehicle out there. Not all vehicles like 10K's. kale

What Kale said is very true.

On my Suburban, The best 10K I found was to use a 27'' shaft, Dual Coil. But when I tryed to put one just like it on my Cargo Van, I could'nt get it to tune very good.

On the Van, I ended-up useing a 10K, that had two of the larger coil's on it, and a 9'' shaft. It tuned perfect.

And cant tell any difference in performance. Still able to DX just as well, with the shorter shaft, as I can with the longer shaft 10K...(this even suprized me!)

Sometimes you have to experiment with the different size shaft's, and coils, to find the one that works best with your vehicle...(or ask someone who use's a 10K on a vehicle like you have...) ;)

Also, location of the antenna is critical...Just because the location you are useing on your presant antenna works good with that antenna. Does not nessasarly mean it will work as good with the Predator 10K... May need to try a different location...

Ya that was the thing that botherd me was that there was different types and the guy that sold them didn't know any better about the aplication.
10K223-just wondering what type would you sugest for centre roof top mount grounded at the base (no magmount here) on my little puddle jumpin VW.
I've tried your experiment with the my friend 30min away across the open country in an open area on a hill and the only difference was my match. The 102 was almost flat.
The one I got right now is the one with the short base element and 2 coils and I cut the top down till I got to a 1.5 and can't get it any lower no mater where I go around the band.
The reason I got the short base element because it's goin on my Suburban when I get an extra radio.
So the next one I buy will be the right one I hope.
We just wana get shorter because with the 102 bolted on the roof goin down the back road doin 60-70 cleaning brush over head can be a little anoying some times.
Mind ya 10K or 102 people still have that WTF look on their face when I roll by, nuk nuk. :p

MADMAXS 455 said:
Ya that was the thing that botherd me was that there was different types and the guy that sold them didn't know any better about the aplication.
10K223-just wondering what type would you sugest for centre roof top mount grounded at the base (no magmount here) on my little puddle jumpin VW.
I've tried your experiment with the my friend 30min away across the open country in an open area on a hill and the only difference was my match. The 102 was almost flat.
The one I got right now is the one with the short base element and 2 coils and I cut the top down till I got to a 1.5 and can't get it any lower no mater where I go around the band.
The reason I got the short base element because it's goin on my Suburban when I get an extra radio.
So the next one I buy will be the right one I hope.
We just wana get shorter because with the 102 bolted on the roof goin down the back road doin 60-70 cleaning brush over head can be a little anoying some times.
Mind ya 10K or 102 people still have that WTF look on their face when I roll by, nuk nuk. :p
MADMAXS, you can probably take the small coil out of line and get the swr down some more. You will most likely need a longer stinger whan you do this. If so, email me at cowtown10k@msn.com and I will send you one. 1.5 isn't a bad reading if you aren't going to be running big watts. Kale

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.