• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter DX from South America

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
For the past couple of weeks, 11 meter skip here in Colombia has been non-existant. Yesterday (10/6) there was a window from 4-5pm est, and I had several good contacts in Florida, Mississippi, and Alabama on 27.135 Today, the window opened up from about 4 - 4:30 pm est, but I was coming in about 600 miles further north as all of the stations I talked to were in Tennessee, Arkansas, or North Carolina. 27.135 and 27.205. Beginning next week (10/13) I will be on every afternoon (conditions permitting). Hopefully I will hook up with some members of the forum.

Today (10/11) skip from here to USA was strong on 26.955 from around 2:30 - 3:45 pm est. Missouri, Carolinas, Texas, Tennessee, Cincinnati Ohio. Conditions on regular CB 40 was there, but very weak. I will be on 26.955 tomorrow afternoon if anyone wants to try and hook up.

(added 10/17)
Skip from here to US was very poor 10/13-15. On 10/16 to the southeastern corner of US was strong from 2 - 5 pm est. Especially ch. 15. 10/17 - it started rolling at 12 noon and continued (in and out) 'til 6pm est. South, Northeast,Midwest. Even had 2 contacts in Calif (Ch 2).

Last edited:
Nothing recent, but when conditions were very good in the 70's, I talked very briefly to a station in queensland Australia from British Columbia, Canada.
The antenna I used was a radio shack 5/8 ground plane (virtical) and my radio was a
(SSB Universe CB.)

Currently, I am studying for my basic in amature radio, here in Canada. :)

Very good DX on 11 meters out of Colombia from 12 noon until about 3 pm. Worked Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, N. Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana. Channels 2 and 15. Barefoot RCI-2950 on homemade 11M horizontal Dipole. First GOOD DX in over 2 months. Solarcycle 24.com reported a small sunspot today, so maybe something is finally starting.

' 399

Very good DX on 11 meters out of Colombia from 12 noon until about 3 pm. Worked Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, N. Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana. Channels 2 and 15. Barefoot RCI-2950 on homemade 11M horizontal Dipole. First GOOD DX in over 2 months. Solarcycle 24.com reported a small sunspot today, so maybe something is finally starting.

' 399

I had Costa Rica and Colombia on 27.485 USB around 2:00 pm.

Hawaii was very strong on 27.025 for the first time in years in the BYU.

Another good day for DX to SE USA from here in Colombia. As usual, all contacts were in FLA, MISS, or LOUISANNA. Receive noise level at this end was S9 or higher from noon until 6:30 pm. Great conditions all day. Barefoot 2950 was all that was needed. I would tell you about my antenna, but you would laugh out loud! Many good QSOs. Any Forum members in the SE USA, please try CB Channel 15 from noon 'til 6:00 pm Est and listen for Unit 399 Medellin Colombia. Would love to talk to anyone on the forum!!!!!

Last edited:
JJ talked to you yesterday, I'm 510 in Ft. Pierce, FL, You also talked to my friends DB, 741, 842, and a few others in town. Nice making contact talk to you again soon hopefully. Stay safe down there.

3/29/09 ...

Best DX day since we've been here in Colombia. Started at about 9:30 am EST, and continued all day. Still rolling at 7 pm when I shut the station down. Midwest and Northeast US early in the day, and then Southeast later on. RCI-2950 into a 10 ga. wire horizontal dipole about 13 meters high. All Channels...all day.
Strongest stations I talked to, by state:

747 middle Tenn
#18 N. Georgia
136 (Buckmaster) Hyden KY
455 Maryland
Treeclimber Mississippi Gulf Coast
Wide Willy Delaware
6231 N. Carolina
283 Cincinnati Ohio
Hamburger Man Aiken S. Carolina
Unit 125 Mussel Shoals Alabama
Doctor "D" Fort Meyers Florida
Triple 6 New Jersey
99 Mobile Connecticut
Walking Tall W. Virginia
SkyKing Pennsylvania
Dogcatcher Virginia
Stringbean Haber Springs Arkansas.

Hawaii was a good one
is always hard to get them and alaska

South america and the Caribbean are fairly easy to get (from nyc anyways)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio