• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Some good contacts on AM 28. NJ, MASS, various others. Everyone said big audio and big signal on me. I'm laughing because my beam is leaning, my big amp is offline till I sort the short on beam and or coax lol. The low power @100w pep low side of the little mobile amp is all I'm running and nothing is aligned properly lol. Testament to the Turner Plus 3 and Lincoln II + I guess. Maybe I'll be a DX weapon once I get all this mess straightened out lol.

Last edited:
Great evening here in the world of dx! Several nice qso's from Pennsylvania all the way up to the Gulf Islands in the northwest pacific.

Had an especially great lengthy qso with 587 Operator Charles in Pennsylvania who once served at the now defunct Engish Air force base here in Amarillo. That base has been out of commission long before my time and I'm in my mid 40's. It's a big and small world at the same time. He was talking on an icom, Heil headset through a beam and gave me an incredible amount of flowers. He couldn't believe I was talking on the 7900v stock mic and 5/8 ground plane so I'll that made it a great evening.

This fall dx season has been fantastic so far!

My Cobra 139XLR has always done a good job for me, and I've done a lot of good Dxing with it since getting back on the air in July. But with the congestion (and the "mama's cellar dwellers,") on 37 thru 40, it's tough to have a decent uninterrupted QSO. So, I finally put the old base on the bench for a channel expansion and tune-up.
I've made a lot of mods to this rig over the years, but the only extra channels I added were 41 thru 44. Adding channels 45 - 80 was pretty simple, and then I center-tuned it for 27.405, so power is steady from chan 1 to chan 72, where it starts dropping off a little.

Put it back in-line, and tried calling "CQ-DX" on 27.515 LSB. Got a callback from VE554, Operator Milica, in Boda Voda Montenegro. She said it's on the Adraitic sea between Albania and Bosnia. Strong 7 - 9 signal. She spoke pretty good English, and we talked for over 30 minutes. She is a retired electrical engineer. She said the radio is her husband's, and is a Yaesu FT-891. The only thing she knew about the antenna was that it is "very tall." Conditions began fading, so we signed off. If conditions had held, I think she would still be talking ... LOL.

Totally different world up there. I like it !!

- 399 J.J.

BTW ... I need to put my clarifier back to stock. I wish I could remember how I modded it.

My Cobra 139XLR has always done a good job for me, and I've done a lot of good Dxing with it since getting back on the air in July. But with the congestion (and the "mama's cellar dwellers,") on 37 thru 40, it's tough to have a decent uninterrupted QSO. So, I finally put the old base on the bench for a channel expansion and tune-up.
I've made a lot of mods to this rig over the years, but the only extra channels I added were 41 thru 44. Adding channels 45 - 80 was pretty simple, and then I center-tuned it for 27.405, so power is steady from chan 1 to chan 72, where it starts dropping off a little.

Put it back in-line, and tried calling "CQ-DX" on 27.515 LSB. Got a callback from VE554, Operator Milica, in Boda Voda Montenegro. She said it's on the Adraitic sea between Albania and Bosnia. Strong 7 - 9 signal. She spoke pretty good English, and we talked for over 30 minutes. She is a retired electrical engineer. She said the radio is her husband's, and is a Yaesu FT-891. The only thing she knew about the antenna was that it is "very tall." Conditions began fading, so we signed off. If conditions had held, I think she would still be talking ... LOL.

Totally different world up there. I like it !!

- 399 J.J.

BTW ... I need to put my clarifier back to stock. I wish I could remember how I modded it.
Well now. I didn't know you had channels in that beast. Maybe next time we can go off band. She has a nice rig those are a pretty penny.

Reactions: Rwb
I did, but no bueno. In this case I was my own worst enemy. I reused u bolts and clamps and bracket from the larger diameter trashed VQ3 as I didn't have a smaller diameter masting from the rotor to boom. This was a mistake as nothing on earth will keep it from slipping lol. Pulling it down for other maintainence swapping to supplied smaller hardware. I hate when I outsmart myself.
in that case id say hand wrenches woulda twisted it off too

Uh, yeah, exactly......
Why of course, To think otherwise is just preposterous!
Around here we treat it no different than staying within the power limits.
Anything exceeding limits such as amplifiers are only for testing into our dummy loads.
And you never transmit ..... right? Only listen.
What are you thinking dude!

I managed to upset the resident babbling idiot thats out there bitching every day on 38LSB a few minutes ago. He kept swearing at me so I pointed my leaning beam down his neck and started whispering at him. He claimed he was gonna piss me off. I whispered "But ya can't do it though" on repeat with Turner cranked up. Seemed to upset him cause he yelled more lmao. He flipped out. Lot of swearing and threats lmao. Him not me. Funny as I thought the goal was to upset me, but he upset himself. Poor mental midget. He's somewhere on east coast.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,