• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Of course there will be noise and overload! That's what happens when conditions are very good on a band with zero regulation. Things were much better back in the day for the simple reason that very few people ran more than a couple of hundred watts (except on 6 of course). Now every Tom Dick and Harry has a couple kilowatts and splatters up and down the band. It's too bad, because when 11 meters is propagating you really don't need more than 100 watts to talk worldwide. All those ridiculously overpowered stations with their splatterboxes are what is creating all the noise and overload. If everybody went back to 100 watts max there would be much less noise and splatter and folks would be able to talk much further much more easily.

Must be a lot of operators in Texas because I seem to hear a lot from Texas and made contact with Dallas today with my mobile running a little KL-203 P. Think I have to do the Drill the Hole Mod in my McKinley mic hopefully to make it more punchy. I did the mod in my first McKinley but lost that mic when I sent it in for repairs. When I opened this mic up it looked a little different than the first one I had so I Chickened Out. Back to the Drawing Board ! LOL

Well gentlemen, I'm happy as a tornado in a trailer park!

I just worked stations all over the country and did it all with the little 797 kl203 combo. Who'd of thought!

I spent a couple of evenings doing some work on this radio and got the frequency dead nuts, bias corrected and audio sounding bodacious and to know it actually does the work is a good feeling. I was gonna part with this one but now it's got a permanent home.

Off topic and I'm sorry but I got excited.

Heck of dx contact's this evening, lots of compliments for the signal strength and audio so it's a great day in the world of DX!

Well gentlemen, I'm happy as a tornado in a trailer park!

I just worked stations all over the country and did it all with the little 797 kl203 combo. Who'd of thought!

I spent a couple of evenings doing some work on this radio and got the frequency dead nuts, bias corrected and audio sounding bodacious and to know it actually does the work is a good feeling. I was gonna part with this one but now it's got a permanent home.

Off topic and I'm sorry but I got excited.

Heck of dx contact's this evening, lots of compliments for the signal strength and audio so it's a great day in the world of DX!
That 1st 100 is always the biggest boost!
It's always satisfying to get something done right eh?

I did love my KL 203P before I thoughtlessly exploded it by forgetting to turn my input power down coming off sideband to AM. BIG pop lots of stink.
Great amp though. Not its fault. Operator error lol. Just bought a KL- 60 = 1/2 KL203 as was gonna use it as driver off the turned down TRC-457 but was still too hot for input on the 4x in my own opinion so it's in the closet. Trying to go easy on the box. I don't remember what the builder said I could input but it is NOT a high drive. (50-70 DK out of 4x2879 and swing the rest) Eventually might add it to the truck. Still a big fan of their little FET boxes.

Last edited:
I did love my KL 203P before I thoughtlessly exploded it by forgetting to turn my input power down coming off sideband to AM. BIG pop lots of stink.
Great amp though. Not its fault. Operator error lol. Just bought a KL- 60 = 1/2 KL203 as was gonna use it as driver off the turned down TRC-457 but was still too hot for input on the 4x in my own opinion so it's in the closet. Trying to go easy on the box. I don't remember what the builder said I could input but it is NOT a high drive. (50-70 DK out of 4x2879 and swing the rest) Eventually might add it to the truck. Still a big fan of their little FET boxes.
Oh man. I know that sucks.

Oh man. I know that sucks.
Nothing but love for those KL203s. Dollar per watt and very little space or power consumption needed. Fantastic little devils. Think I received, used and exploded my last one before I even got a pic lol. It was the KL203P in black. Many years ago I had an original red one. Loved it too till I sold off all my stuff back then.Screenshot_20231102_150310_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, mi Amigo. You've had nothing but trouble lately. Hope things will get better.

- 399 J.J.

Reactions: Rwb
if my ratshack was lower power ,my 203 would be in my pickup

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned