• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

110v to 220v do you get a wattage increase on amplifier

Jimbo165

Jun 1, 2012
Southeastern Michigan
This is a question that I would like to get some info on if I convert a amplifier from 110vac to 220vac will I get a increase in output or wattage from the amplifier? On actual use will you see a increase? thanks Jimbo

If you are talking a tube amplifier, I would say yes to seeing a bit more power out. The big difference is that normally 110 vac is a 15 amp circuit 220 vac is normally higher amperage, therefore more power available to the amplifier. Will it make a difference on the other end not really.

Yes binrat I was talking about a tube amplifier. I see heathkits, Dentons and others can be converted but I was just curious if I would get a real noticeable increase in power output on them?

As Binrat stated, you may see a little more power output on a wattmeter. But to others on the receiving end, no. The reason you may see more output on 220 is that their should be less of a voltage drop coming into amp. But the amp has to be designed for 110 or 220. If it's only rated for 110 and hook up 220. There will be smoke.

Reactions: Jimbo165
But the amp has to be designed for 110 or 220. If it's only rated for 110 and hook up 220. There will be smoke.

The filaments in the tubes will be REAL bright for a millisecond before they burn up.:confused:

A Lot of amps do give you the choice of if you want to run 110v or 220v I just wondered if it was worth the trouble to install a 220v line for one of these amps. If there is not a real noticeable power increase I guess it will not be worth the extra cost.

If I have the option of running something off of 220V I will do it. Even my well pump is dual voltage and I run it on 220V. Things have far less voltage drop on a 220 v line and in the case of an amp the voltage will be a little more stable during peaks. I have a separate 20 amp 220 v outlet in my shack and may add another for future projects. Anything that draws heavy current should be on a 220 v line. In fact any amp over 1 Kw output pretty much has to be in order to supply the total input power to the amp.

Depends on the tube and the amplifier.

If it is a big honking power hungry tube with major amperage B+ transformer for a plate and 30 amps of filament current needed then YES use 220.

If it is a Christmas tree set of sweep tubes in a 11 meter set up then it does not matter

Less voltage drop, if it's a tube amplifier, then the plate voltage will drop less and prevent a drop in output due to voltage drop. Not only is there less voltage drop at 240VAC, but most people also use their own branch circuit for it as well which helps. Lots of good reasons.

I have yet to convert my AL-80B to 220. I had a dedicated 220 line ran recently to my shack, and only did it to reduce electricity consumption, minimize voltage drop, and make life easier for my amp. I don't expect more power out, unless it is from reduced drop as mentioned above.

Brett

A single 3-500Z on 120 v mains?

When you switch it to 220 you will see a slight more output due to better voltage stability.

Monitor the HV meter with no load and then with load on 120, then convert to 240 and do the same, you will most likely see a few hundred more volts higher under load with the 240v mains

I have yet to convert my AL-80B to 220. I had a dedicated 220 line ran recently to my shack, and only did it to reduce electricity consumption, minimize voltage drop, and make life easier for my amp. I don't expect more power out, unless it is from reduced drop as mentioned above.

Brett

Do you mean to reduce current consumption? Electricity consumption will remain the same regardless of whether it is run off of 120v or 220v.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Do you mean to reduce current consumption? Electricity consumption will remain the same regardless of whether it is run off of 120v or 220v.

I may be off here, but I'm sure you know the answer. 220 uses half the watt hours of 110, right? So my electric bill should be less.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.