• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12, 24, and 48 volts????

I agree, unless Peakaboo starts building the mighty Joker Amplifier with RAB (regulated class AB bias) again then a class B X-Force TnT Amp is about as good as it gets. Man Peakaboo used to re-work a Texas Star so it was AB regulated and WOW........smoken.

If that's not an urban legend, lol, that's funny.

Ok I read a lot of threads on a lot of forums. What I have gathered is X force sucks, Davemade sucks, and Fatboy sucks. Who makes a good amp?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

They don't suck....that's just biased opinions. I think Texas Star, RM/KLV, and Palomars suck, but a bunch will disagree.

Reactions: 2 people
What is funny 359, does peekaboo not do good work? I have heard and seen his work and it appears that he knows what he is doing. Is there something you know that the rest of us don't? Just curious as I have read several posts on different forums saying the same thing that peekaboo can build one hell of an amp.

I wonder how much RF knowledge one has to have to buy a company who's product line is based on a discontinued part? The Toshiba 2SC2879. Considering anyone can buy an X Force sticker and glue it to any box, how much was the name worth? It's not like anyone was going to sue them for using the name of an illegal product. To me it looks like the guy who sold may be smarter than the guy who purchased. His timing was much better.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder how much RF knowledge one has to have to buy a company who's product line is based on a discontinued part? The Toshiba 2SC2879. Considering anyone can buy an X Force sticker and glue it to any box, how much was the name worth? It's not like anyone was going to sue them for using the name of an illegal product. To me it looks like the guy who sold may be smarter than the guy who purchased. His timing was much better.

A lot of builders have already gone to the DEI pills. My buddy got a fatboy last week with DEI and a trucker friend got one also I think it was a Dave but I could be wrong.

30 dollars a pill vs 50 dollars a pill and charging the same price...

Ok I read a lot of threads on a lot of forums. What I have gathered is X force sucks, Davemade sucks, and Fatboy sucks. Who makes a good amp?

Yaesu, Kenwood, Ameritron, Ten-Tec, Tokyo HY-Power(now gone), Henry, Alpha....etc Oh wait you meant 11 meter amps... never mind.

Sorry for being sarcastic there but most 11 amp mfgs are garage operations because of the legality of the biz.

........... most 11 amp mfgs are garage operations because of the legality of the biz.

Not really. Most 11m amps are garbage because the majority of them are class C splatter boxes and have no harmonic filtering. Add over driven to the mix from a hot driver stage and you have garbage, garbage, and even more garbage.

Reactions: 5 people
My lil Xforce 2-pill is awesome and im buying a bigger one, by the way......i did stay at a Holiday inn last night, lol. If my class C is a POS then someone tell me what i should get cause i get great reports daily.

The quality of signals on the bands today has dropped to the point that what was once considered distorted and splattery has now become the norm thus most people do not know what really sounds good. I have heard fuzzy distorted audio be given a great report by some people. Some people think listening to a highly compressed mp3 file sounds really good until they hear the same song in a non-compressed format and are blown away. Same thing on the air. Class C was never meant for any type of amplitude modulated waveform which includes both AM and SSB. Distortion DOES occur whether someone else realizes it or not. Class ab is the way to go. The problem is that class ab will not produce the same amount of power output for the same amount of power input and will run hotter however the difference in power out is never going to be seen on the air and only serves to make the owner feel good with all those watts he sees on the meter. Also running transistors at manufacturers specs and not at an amp builders spec means a lot too. A 1x4 is bad enough but a 1 x 2 is just insane.

Reactions: 4 people
Some people think listening to a highly compressed mp3 file sounds really good until they hear the same song in a non-compressed format and are blown away.
CD vs vinyl album comes to mind here :D

The problem is that class ab will not produce the same amount of power output for the same amount of power input and will run hotter however the difference in power out is never going to be seen on the air and only serves to make the owner feel good with all those watts he sees on the meter.
Did you say that right? RF drive power or DC input power? AB bias will actually have higher gain than C bias, it just takes more DC power to do it.

Yes AB bias will actually have higher gain, and yes it takes more DC power to do it.
Class A ( or in this case AB or B) is not as efficient RE current draw per watts RF produced, but I will tell you that class A will reproduce the best signal out compared to the signal in.
This is true in both RF and Audio.

This is mostly fueled by competition type operations where every DC amp must be used to make the most raw power, regardless of what it sounds like in the end.

It is a age old debate, it has been beat to death and those who understand RF know the answer.

On the Air, it sometimes seems that even if the signal sounds like shit, operators will give a 5/9 because if they say something sounds wrong, the station will reply that it must be your stuff screwed up, because this is a new amp, and it is rocking my wattmeter.
Even if you could show every operator how trashy it looks on a S/A they will still blow you off.
To many, if you are not splashing 15/20 channels you are not 10-8 and smoking.
Not everyone, but some.
Jeff

Reactions: 4 people
This is mostly fueled by competition type operations where every DC amp must be used to make the most raw power, regardless of what it sounds like in the end.
That's it in a nut shell right there.

Somebody made a name on the keydown circuit and started building keydown boxes for the masses and in the process all regards for audio quality were lost.

Reactions: 3 people
CD vs vinyl album comes to mind here :D

Did you say that right? RF drive power or DC input power? AB bias will actually have higher gain than C bias, it just takes more DC power to do it.

Yeah I said it right. When I think of input I mean DC power input. To me an amp has DC input and RF drive whereas some people (most) refer to the amount of RF drive as amp input. Ever since the early days of radio operators referred to the DC input and the drive requirements of an amp. I'm old school. My amp has DC input, RF output, and a certain drive requirement from my exciter. ;)

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.