• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1446 in a cobra 29?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe I would suggest such a thing to do but here goes. Why not just buy one of those (junk) Stinger boards with a 1446 all in one package with directions and install it in the radio. You will still have problems but at least it will work.

Well, theres no doubt about it. Ever since I was on my way to Albuquerque on 40 about five or six years ago and I heard this GIANT signal coming from a guy calling himself 228 at the 292, informing this guy that he didn't know enough about shit to properly use a toilet in a truck stop without making a mess let alone his radio, and he didn't care what every other swingin' dick said, that radio sounds ridiculous, I knew I had to meet the H&A smith that had that razor sharp, booming audio, see what he was using, and buy it from him.
I used to stop in at the shop and sit there for hours (almost being late a hundred times for my drops) BS'ing with Jack. I re-learned every thing I thought I knew about radios, found out about the world of sideband operation, and learned that sitting with an inferior setup, in Las Vegas yelling SSSCCHWATT into a D-104 with all the other creatins realy was not all that much fun. I watched him throw morons out of the shop and piss off every chicken hauler that thought he had the "shit: from some monkey in "Okie" He does not suffer fools well, I thank him for suffering through with me, I consider him my friend.
And by the way, he never would sell me that 148 with the Magnum 450 and the Bum, but he has sure built some crazy hot rigs for myself and my friends, I recommend his services highly.

Again, I'm not in the least interested in a "hopped up" 29. Only two kinds of people use 29's and I'm not either one. I actually have a 29, I use it for a wheel chock...It works great for that.
My friend is plugging away on this idea in his spare time, and I told him that I'm on a forum with a really knowledgeable group of radio heads and I would see what I could find out for him.
So thanks for the stinger board suggestion, but this "thing" is not for my use.

freecell said:
i already shipped your skywave amp....
I know you said you would, but you never forwarded a tracking number and it was never received. Although, I haven't been around for a week so if it went recently, that would explain it.

Master Chief said:
(BTW, a ICOM/Kenwood/Yaesu combo would work MUCH better than ANY Grant......on .385!)
Some people like rap some like disco,some prefer ska and some are too busy drinkin' and hookin' up with chicks to dance. It all depends on your definition of "partyin'
Some people THINK that digital sounds better than analog, their wrong, they just cant HEAR how harsh and im passionate a cd sounds compared to a record or a tape.
I can tell myself that I'm doing a good job but it only matters when someone else tells me so.
I'll stick with mt Grant, want a beer?

Welcome to the 228 customer service thread!
I guess this means that Jack is the only one here that knows how to do this mod. I thought that at least sharp shooter or DTB whold be able to explain it.
:( Aaron is sad.....

a 1446 to be put in a cobra 29
sorry not happening
not worth while

too many things wrong with that
there are radios properly designed for that

or build a box and be done with it

personally the cobra 29 is not a good enough radio to do any but the simplist of mods to

sorry to disappoint you KC but i've been building them for years and not just the 29. 25 - 30W Carrier and 100 - 120WPEP and a low power version, 10 - 11.5W Carrier & 40 - 45WPEP. just because you can't do it doesn't mean that it can't be done and done well, you believe whatever you want. MC, check with your people at the le habra drop. if it's not there yet it should be there the first of the week.

I have no doubt that if freecell has his hands in it, its a quality product. I don't believe he could allow himself to engineer crap.

OK Then, I guess we all admit that Freecell is the supreme 'hefe, I can't believe that no one is interested in sharing the 411 on this mod, or perhaps........NAHHHH!!!!

skirtchaser said:
OK Then, I guess we all admit that Freecell is the supreme 'hefe, I can't believe that no one is interested in sharing the 411 on this mod, or perhaps........NAHHHH!!!!
MVC-003S.jpg

MVC-002E.jpg

Any sharp tek worth his own salt can figure it out from this picture.

There's a tuned input circuit and a 1 turn output coil.

These are pictures of the Justin/Frank Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.