• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148F vs 959

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
Which of these radios is the best over all which is better stock which is better peaked & tuned 148F vs 959 I am think about try one of these 2 out

No I am just looking to try out another in the mobile this does not mean I will stop using the 2000 in the mobile

The big advantage with the Cobra 148 is the better receive - while the big advantage with the 959 is the dual finals. The 959 also has features that the Cobra doesn't have, likr the roget beep and the freq counter.

Both are nice. If you are a big fan of SSB, then the Cobra is probably the better choice - IMO.

depends on what you want featurewise; performance should basically be the same.

what would make the 148 any different, or better in the receive or SSB operation? Aren't the circuit designs basically identical?

Didn't I read that the cobras, being made in China, were using really low value componenets, like 1/4 watt or 1/8 watt resistors, etc.?

Anyway, years ago I compared receivers of an old school 148 to a 959 in a side-by-side test and they both heard the same signal all the way down until it dropped off. with the 959, though, i could understand the transmission at a lower output than with the 148, but this was probably more likely due to tune, age, or mfg differences...

The 959 is a single final radio. 1969 final in the older models and the newer ones (08 and on) have a Mosfet final.

The big advantage with the Cobra 148 is the better receive - while the big advantage with the 959 is the dual finals. The 959 also has features that the Cobra doesn't have, likr the roget beep and the freq counter.

Both are nice. If you are a big fan of SSB, then the Cobra is probably the better choice - IMO.

Best? I don't know. But you can actually buy a 959, get parts for it, etc. 148F's are a little hard to come by these days. I would think that would make the decision a little easier.

Alot of times a Export will swing backwards on a average meter at full mod. A good ol cb usually swings forward. Pep meters dont tell you much on AM but the Numbers look good. I run a Uniden Grant XL for the Base most of the time and it screams. Same Radio as the 148. One of the best sidebbanders out there and great recieve also. PS they work great on AM and all they need is the mod turned up afuzz. I got two nice ones in the Buy sell hint hint. Everyone likes the exports and it took me awhile to figure out but if putting a box behind the radio the 20 pep watts more a export puts out dont mean squat.

In the end it all depends on what he wants. Both are legal 40 channel cb sets. The new 959 is mosfet powered. Since the 148F is no longer made you will have to search for a nice one. Either get an old school Philly 148F, or get a nice built 959 from CBR. All depends on what ya really want.

If you want to try a 959, now is a good time to do it with the deals that are coming from the factory...

I have a mosfet 959 and a Uniden Grant (very similar to a 148 if I remember correctly)...

Both have been tuned by a reputable and well known shop, neither are clipped. The 959 will "show" more watts than the Grant, 6 swinging about 24 compared to 4 swinging about 16. Both sound about the same audio-wise and both talk well on SSB. I drive a AB-1 4x1446 with the 959 and a TS350HDV with the Grant...I get good reports with either, on both AM and SSB.

If I had to choose a "better" one between the two, I couldn't. I would definitely say I like my 959s meter, but I like the old school look of the Grant. I can't really say one performs better than the other. Either would be a good choice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.