• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

17 Meter EDZ Questions

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Hi folks, I'm interested in putting up a multi-band wire antenna. Must be stealthy, and length needs to be around 65' or so. I was reading the ARRL handbook, and came across the 17 meter Extended Double Zepp antenna. They mentioned that it could be used for other bands as well. I have the wire which is #12 insulated, along with a Balun Designs 4:1 balun, and my choice of either a auto LDG Z-11 Pro, or MFJ 989C manual tuner. I just need to buy some ladder line, but I do have some 300 ohm stuff laying around. I really want to be able to hit 40 meters. Just wondering if you guys have tried one of these, or have a better recommendation. Keep in mind I have to play by HOA rules, so it has to be stealthy.

RT307

The All Band HF Doublet - 80 thru 10 Meter Ladder Line Multiband Antenna

The antenna you describe has been around for years.

ALL BAND DOUBLET.

You want 40 meters?

1/2 wl dipole at 40 meters.

Feed the antenna with ladder line.

300 ohm will work of you are not QRO.

Have fun and make some contacts.

40 meter will tune 40 through 10 meters and work well.

The higher in freq you go the more pronounced the lobes will be and you will have some gain and deep nulls.

Thanks wavrider. I have been looking at tons of antenna configurations, and there is a LOT out there. I am curious... the 40 meter dipole is half wave, and that makes it 1/4 wave on 80 meters. Is it possible to load a 1/2 wave 40 meter dipole up on 80 meters? I know it's not the best possible scenario, but does it work?

RT307

The old trick there is to either twist the twinlead together at the tuner..or short the twinlead together and feed it as a single "random wire" for 75m...
Also using the MFJ tuner you don't need a balun(tuner has one)...
However using the Doublet or Double Zepp antenna it does help to have a "Balanced" tuner also...
ex: Double "L" or link coupled(Johnson Matchbox)...I think it seems to work much better...
I have both styles...I prefer the Double "L" (tunes smoother!)
All the Best
Gary

The more I look at my yard and where my shack is, I would be best if I could end feed the antenna, and have it in a U shape around the back yard. I do have some shrubs that are about 25' tall that I can run it over, and then it will come back down to the fence line. Should be able to get about 96' worth of wire up that way. I don't know how well the end fed antennas perform compared to a doublet or dipole?

RT307

Long wire antenna random wire

Good reading...
They can work well, there are considerations...

I would still look at the Doublet as a better option if possible...
They don't have to be straight...a U shape will work fine....Half-Square...etc..

I have run variations for years....running 2) parallel Doublet 75m versions now with 34 ft spacing "end-fired" feed with 450 line at about 40 ft height....tuned with a Double "L" tuner...also have a 40m version tuned it with a PALSTAR AT4K
I do fairly well:blush:....
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: 1 person
BJRadionut, that's a help, as I keep thinking I have to keep the doublet straight. Too bad my property doesn't have any adult trees. That sure makes it simpler. I could do a doublet in a half square, as you say, and probably make that work. The attic just has too much metal in it. I had tried a delta loop on the roof before, but it picked up too much noise from I don't know where... kind of a pulsing RF. No problems with an antenna in the yard as far as noise goes.

I do have an antenna that Homer built me... it is currently an 11 meter end fed halfwave. I have ran it horizontally for some time now, and it works quite well for DX. He told me that he thought the matching coil was good to 40 meters, so I will probably cut a half wave of wire for 40 meters and try it out. Wish I had an antenna analyzer. :D

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.