• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

#18 Kenwood TS 940 DOT on display Chasing down the rabbit hole Pt 1

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
#18 Kenwood TS 940 DOT on display Chasing down the rabbit hole Pt 1

In this video I have a TS-940 that has the dreaded dots on the display. After doing the regular checks for signals and voltages on the PLL's I decided to start looking for other issues that can cause this problem. So which is causing this problem? Bad wire connectors, cracked solder joints plus PLL unlocked. We will look at the boards and connectors in this part one series. Just some basic visual checks with our eyes. In part 2 we will go to the schematic and start checking signals and voltages.

Reactions: sounds

Gee, I didn't know the 940's had the dot issue, the 440's had that issue with the PLL unlocking.

most of the issues with the 940's are due to loose/corroded electrical plug connections inside the rig.
wiggle them and/or clean them with DEOXIT and most of them go away.

good luck..... and don't forget to check the fan motor(s), they often fail too.

Reactions: Radio Tech
Gee, I didn't know the 940's had the dot issue, the 440's had that issue with the PLL unlocking.

most of the issues with the 940's are due to loose/corroded electrical plug connections inside the rig.
wiggle them and/or clean them with DEOXIT and most of them go away.

good luck..... and don't forget to check the fan motor(s), they often fail too.

Yep, the 940 is plagued with a lot of the same issues as with a lot of Kenwood radios of this error.
Connectors
Solder joints
Wax in PLL can ( wax is really not the problem, it soldering the pins while the wax creeps in the joints).
Foam under PLL board becomes very conductive.
AVR issue
As you mentioned the fan problem which there are mods to correct this.
Power out in SSB mode.
The list goes on.

These radios need special attention now.

Please continue!

Thanks Robb. It is only rewarding to me if people want to watch. Without an audience my channel is useless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.