• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter antenna

bluestallion

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 13, 2008
I'm wanting to increase my range of 2m simplex. I have a 94 ext cab sierra pickup, and currently have a tram nmo antenna on the roof, it claims its 3db gain. Was looking at the nr22l antenna, and if I hard mount it on the bed rail, would it do any better? since part of the antenna would be lower. Im using ft-7800 for radio.

The difference in height would make very little difference, but the antenna being partly 'shielded' by the cab will make some difference. I think that 'difference' wouldn't be 'huge' though.
As for the difference between those two antennas, beats me, I'm not familiar with either. Compare the advertised gain for each. Unless there's a fairly large difference, I doubt there's an appreciable difference in performance.
- 'Doc

For 2 meters the best place for the antenna is dead center on the roof, this will be the highest point and give the most ground plane under the antenna. Now the difference in the antennas will probably be marginal at best unless there is a defect in one or the other.

As was said putting the antenna on the bed rail is a bad idea, blocks to much of the radiating part and you probably will lose performance.

Look here for all the mobile antenna info you need.

51"Comet SBB turned my truck in to a rolling base. 4.1 db. Mounted dead in the center of the cab. Awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

If you can not mount it on the roof, I have mounted 2 meter antennas on the left rear corner of the bed and it works fine, gets the antenna away from the cab.
There are a couple of guys up here that run the mounts that bolt to the fender where it and hood come together.
I think Mole uses one on his RV.
Look at the Hustler CG-144 antenna for Gain if you can live with a long antenna, I have used them in the past, they work well.
At over 7 feet in height it is about the longest 2 meter mobile antenna around, but not everyone can get away with running something this long.

Jeff

If you can not mount it on the roof, I have mounted 2 meter antennas on the left rear corner of the bed and it works fine, gets the antenna away from the cab.
There are a couple of guys up here that run the mounts that bolt to the fender where it and hood come together.
Look at the Hustler CG-144 antenna for Gain if you can live with a long antenna, I have used them in the past, they work well.
At over 7 feet in height it is about the longest 2 meter mobile antenna around, but not everyone can get away with running something this long.

Jeff

My fav also...mounted in one of the stack rail slots of the truck bed about 3 ft back from the cab...
I've worked 100+ miles Simplex!(80+ watts to antenna)....(y)
Well the guys I chat with do help...Excellent ducting conditions and the (2) ops I can work have Twin 15's at 60+ft + 1/4 gal. output:drool:
Normal everyday....
Avg. distance about 30-50 miles mobile to base
Mobile to Mobile....maybe 20 miles(good conditions) and both with good antennas and 50+ watts

All the Best(y)
Gary

HUSTLER
Collinear High Gain
Mobile Antenna
CG-144 5.2dB 6 MHz B.W.
CG-220 5.2dB 4 MHz B.W.
• Power rating: 200 watts
• 3/8”x24 thread
• 5/8 over ¼ wave
• Collinear design
• CG-144 7’ 1” CG-220 4’ 9”
CGT-144 5.2dB 6 MHz B.W.
CGT-220 5.2dB 4 MHz B.W.
• Coil same and same height as above
• Swivel ball for vertical positioning
• Quick disconnect for easy removal

Last edited:

I'm one of "those guys". The cowl mount install is here in pictures --> http://www.worldwidedx.com/vhf-uhf-bands-vhf-uhf-rigs/108649-yaesu-ft-8800r-install-late-model-chevy-truck-quick-easy.html

The cab does block it quite a bit. A SR-2X4 (3.5ish dbi) on a roof mag mount gets out a LOT better than a high gain Diamond (5+ dbi) diamond did on the cowl. The top of the 60" diamond mounted on the cowl was almost the same height as the 2X4 on the roof, but still didn't work near as well because it was so directional.

The performance of any antenna will change with it's location or where it's mounted. In general, it's nice to have the antenna as high as you can get it, not because of it's height, but because it means not having metal to one side of the antenna or the other. That metal to the sides of an antenna tends to reshape it's radiation pattern. Sometimes that 'reshaping' isn't very noticeable, sometimes it is.
I once had a 2004 Silverado with a tool box and headache rack. Had two 5/8 wave VHF antennas on the roof, another on the tool box lid, and a dual-bander on the hood. All in all, there really wasn't that much difference between any of them. Some, sure, but nothing super drastic.
The antenna mounted on the hood was there because it was a bit too stiff to have on the roof, hit lots of stuff which isn't generally very good to the antenna's mount. It was -on- the hood, not an 'L' bracket between hood and fender (but I'd tried that too).
The two antennas on the roof were for other purposes but could be used on 2 meters. If it wasn't for the gas mileage I'd still have that pickup! Oh well...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.