• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter skip to England from Virginia

KG6YGE

Dec 14, 2012
Just listened to three folks on a repeater in England (147.405 Mhz) talk on their mobile, for about 20 minutes. They were on a repeater, and the accent of the repeater clinched it. From northern Va, 7:00 am local. Rig is ICOM 2100H mobile.

Sorry but no one has bridged the Atlantic on 2m yet although it is not for the lack of trying. Many beacons have been set up running max legal power into multi-element arrays aimed across the ocean and so far nothing. What you heard was a repeater with either an IRLP node or an Echo [slash] stink [/slash] link access.

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry but no one has bridged the Atlantic on 2m yet although it is not for the lack of trying. Many beacons have been set up running max legal power into multi-element arrays aimed across the ocean and so far nothing. What you heard was a repeater with either an IRLP node or an Echo [slash] link [/slash] stink access.

Fixed.

Most likely CK is correct. And there are LOTS of Brit and Aussie hams living in the U.S. too. Talk to them all the time.

Reactions: 1 person
OK....

Also looked for local repeaters on line at 147.405 and didn't find any...

Really strange. Tried to reply and introduce myself but they were impervious to that.

OK....

Really strange. Tried to reply and introduce myself but they were impervious to that.

You may have heard a DOMESTIC repeater on skip rather than a local one.

OK....

What CK said and it's also not SKIP...it's called tropospheric ducting when it happens at 2m frequencies. Not likely there would be an inversion layer that massive.

It looks like your area uses 147.405 MHz as the input of an "odd-split" repeater. The output of that repeater pair is listed as 144.950. I did not go as far as to look if there was a repeater assigned to this pair by coordination, but this pair is allocated for that use in the 2 meter band plan for your area.

You might want to see if you are hearing anything on the output (144.950) when you hear the transmissions again on 147.405.

I agree 100% with the other posts.... someone had an IRLP or Echo-link running into the input of that repeater. The other possibility is that there may not be a repeater currently allocated to that particular frequency pair and someone local to you is using it as a simplex frequency.

Perhaps ?

Auroral Communications:
Another phenomenon that produces upper atmosphere ionization suitable for 2-meter DXing are the auroras. Since the ionization persists much longer than meteor trails, voice modulated radio signals can be used (sometimes), but the constant movement of the ionized gas leads to heavy distortion of the signals causing the audio to sound 'ghostly' and whispered. In most instances using auroral reflections on 2-meters, audio or voice is totally unintelligible and ham operators wishing to make contacts via aurora, must resort to CW (Morse code). CW signals returning from an auroral reflection have no distinct sound or tone but simply sound like a swishing or whooshing noise. An exception to this phenomenon would be the 6-meter band which is significantly lower in frequency than the 2-meter band by 94 MHz. In many instances 6-meter voice modes are readable but with varying degrees of difficulty when reflected off an aurora. Therefore, when using an auroral event as a radio signal reflector, the reflected signal strength and signal intelligibility decreases with increasing transmitting frequency...from wiki.

EchoLink Node and Conference Server Status

As of 17 Jan 2013 12:00 CT. (Updated every 15 minutes from EchoLink.)

Node: WA4PBS-L 345349

WA4PBS is the official Club Station call for the PBS Amateur Radio Club. We are located at the Public Broadcasting Service Network and Satellite Operations Center near Springfield, Virginia.

All ham radio operators presently and formerly employed by PBS are eligible for membership in the PBS ARC. Other ham radio license holders may request associate membership.

More information regarding PBS ARC can be obtained by emailing the CLUB. PBS ARC presently operates a simplex ECHO link system on 2 meters with the frequency of 147.405 MHz PL 79.7 Hz. .

Coverage is the Washington D.C. metro area and adjoining Maryland and northern Virginia. This 2 meter link is usually connected to N4LRA echolink 146.420 MHz PL 79.7 Hz located near Dumfries, Virginia. This extends coverage to Eastern Prince William and Stafford Counties.

I would bet that's your answer.

Watergate, I think you nailed it. I work in Prince William County, and "Ireland" now makes sense. I was just scanning this am for people preparing for a possible snow storm today, and heard these blokes !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.