• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2008 ford f350 and 91 f250 antenna mounting

brad218

May 5, 2009
okay, our main uses of the cb is for our deer lease, we have to start taking two trucks, so i thought it would be cool to buy a couple of cb's and put in me and my dad's truck, but since all the newer vehicles have limited cab space, im not sure what to put in my dad's truck. ive thought about a cobra 75, but im not sure how great those radios are. as for antenna mounts, ive thought about a firestik stake hole mount and a 5 ft firestik antenna, or the 102' whip. as for my truck, i want a dual antenna setup but i know its not really possible, but if it works within an 8 mi radius it would be great. and im not in to mag mount antennas. please give me some suggestions.

hi brad,

just so you know, the best place to put your antenna for the furthest range is in the center of the roof of the cab.

dont want to drill holes in your truck?

the stake hole mount should work fine, just make sure you get a good metal to metal contact from the mount to the body of the truck.
this might mean scraping some paint.

i would definitely go with 102" whips over the firesticks.
i dont like fiberglass coil type antennas at all.

dont do the dual antenna setup as you will cut down on your range off the sides of your vehicle.

dual antennas are for truckers that only want to communicate with people either directly in front of them or directly behind them.

use good coax, not the stuff from radio shack, and if you have to put a new end on the coax, use the solder type, not the crimp type if you can avoid it.

if you use the 102" whips on both trucks, and mount them properly, ensuring that they both have an SWR of 1.5 or lower, then you should be able to get out to eachother 8 miles easy. (depending on the terrain of course)

good luck,
LC

The Cobra 75 isn't a very good radio. The reception really sucks in it. I had one a long time ago.

If you want somethign small, look at some of the other small radios like a Cobra DX19 or a Uniden 510 or 520 or a Cobra 25. A lot of truck owners install them on the center hump on the floorboard...there are quite a few different mounts that can work there.

If the 102" whip is too long and will whack everything in the woods, you can use some shorter antennas like a Wilson Trucker 2000 or 5000. They're more expensive, but they work pretty good. The fiberglass you mentioned is an option also, but they tend to have limited range over the other types. I use a fiberglass antenna on my Jeep because it's tough, but I also understand the limitations I'm accepting by doing so.

if your looking for a radio with extra channels and ssb functions If you can find it a Midland 79-290 would be a good choice

The simple best performance would be a mag mount Wilson 1000 or K-40 2/3 the way back on the roof. You can run the coax betweent the bed and cab. It all depends on how much you really want to spend and how permenent you want it to be.

A co-phase set-up on a pickup truck is a waste of time, the antennas will be too close. To tune one you need a 50ohm dummy load, put the load on one side and an antenna on the other and tune that antenna. Then put the dummy load in place of the antenna you just tuned and set the other antenna. Your done.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.