• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

23 channel vintage radio - where would a frequency counter hook up?

sdmahr

Dec 14, 2012
I've got a vintage, (mid-70's), MINT Midland AM/SSB I'm getting ready to hook a VFO up to in order to tune to the frequencies above and below the "cystalized" 23.

Anyone have any pointers as to where the correct spot is typically in these radios to pick up the operating frequencies??

I've got a vintage, (mid-70's), MINT Midland AM/SSB I'm getting ready to hook a VFO up to in order to tune to the frequencies above and below the "cystalized" 23.

Anyone have any pointers as to where the correct spot is typically in these radios to pick up the operating frequencies??

There typically isn't one inside the radio of that vintage. You generally have to couple the pick up to the coax cable or a small piece of insulated wire near the output stage and key up to read the frequency.
Appreciate the info. I Googled the heck out of the subject and that seems to be the only answer.

I wrap a few turns of like a #20 solid insulated wire around the little jumper that goes from the PCB to the SO239 in the back of the radio, and then just put an RCA plug (or PL259) on that and plug into an inline counter. That's always worked for me in the past. That way you're not needing to tap into any RF path.

Also, whatever VFO you use, don't use the internal power supply in the VFO itself, use a small well filtered "linear" supply (transformer, voltage regulation, etc) for the +12VDC. It will make the VFO run more stable and eliminate any DC hum/ripple in the TX/RX.

Let us know how you get on. :)

~Cheers~

I got the VFO hooked up today. Its a Siltronix model 90. Seems to work well. Exit13: I powered it with the same power supply as the radio. It works well. Took me just a little while to get the dial calibrated and the radio TX'ing and RX'ing as the dial on teh VFO reads. Tomorrow I'll re-tune the radio centering power output and receive a bit higher in the band. I very seldom go below CH38, and it looses output and ears up high.

I wrap a few turns of like a #20 solid insulated wire around the little jumper that goes from the PCB to the SO239 in the back of the radio, and then just put an RCA plug (or PL259) on that and plug into an inline counter. That's always worked for me in the past. That way you're not needing to tap into any RF path.

Also, whatever VFO you use, don't use the internal power supply in the VFO itself, use a small well filtered "linear" supply (transformer, voltage regulation, etc) for the +12VDC. It will make the VFO run more stable and eliminate any DC hum/ripple in the TX/RX.

Let us know how you get on. :)

~Cheers~

I used to use a Siltronix VFO and never had an issue with the built in power supply. No hummmms, buzzes, or stability issues.

Since you have the model 90 VFO, look around for a Siltronix FC -1 frequency display. It can be hooked up either inline via coax connectors, or can pick up the signal off the air through a small antenna in the back of the unit.

Strictly speaking it is NOT a frequency counter, only a display. It will only show the frequency during a dead-key transmit. When you modulate the display will jump all over the place. It will show nothing on receive. It is generally unusable on SSB and it's only five digits (but you can shift the display to read single Hz).

It's not the best solution but it will get you in the ballpark. Assuming you plugged that model 90 into the channel 23 slot of your Midland the dial reading should be fairly close.

Kits are made to convert the analog VFO display to a digital readout. Consider purchasing one.

Since it's a Siltronix it's going to drift anyhow- don't get all wrapped up in being dead on frequency!

Good luck!

Since you have the model 90 VFO, look around for a Siltronix FC -1 frequency display. It can be hooked up either inline via coax connectors, or can pick up the signal off the air through a small antenna in the back of the unit.

Strictly speaking it is NOT a frequency counter, only a display. It will only show the frequency during a dead-key transmit. When you modulate the display will jump all over the place. It will show nothing on receive. It is generally unusable on SSB and it's only five digits (but you can shift the display to read single Hz).

It's not the best solution but it will get you in the ballpark. Assuming you plugged that model 90 into the channel 23 slot of your Midland the dial reading should be fairly close.

Kits are made to convert the analog VFO display to a digital readout. Consider purchasing one.

Since it's a Siltronix it's going to drift anyhow- don't get all wrapped up in being dead on frequency!

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I've got the dial on the Siltronix pretty much lined up with the correct frequency the radio is RX/TX'ing on. I thought if there was a neat way to have an active frequency display coming from the radio that might help me dial it in faster/easier. The truth is that after dialing through the band the last couple of days I'm getting the "feel" of the Siltronix and the radio. It pretty cool having that ole' Midland and Siltronix fired up in the shack. This stuff is circa mid-70's and works well. There's something about that old stuff that isn't replicated in all of my modern equipment. I enjoy working it....and yes, it does drift a little but not too bad.

I know the feeling. I've put my D201A into semi-retirement and have put the old Cobra 135 and model 90 back into daily use. I do enjoy using the vintage gear!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.