• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

250 watt difference btwn power supply&battery?

I don't beleve the 225 watts Dk AM with the battery at 2 watts drive is correct either. I beleve the 225 and the 480 are erroneous, I know the difference is volteg, I beleve 2 watts drive DK is vary high for that amp, The question to myself is why such high DK readings for a amp that spec's at 250 max AM, I just want to see what happens with modulation. Scott.

Reactions: 1 person
Thank you CK and critter for your thoughts. My thoughts are around what critter said. The only time these amps will see that kind of DK is when they are fed with 20 volts. And no more than 5 watts input into the amp.

Read this page:
NWCBRadio.com • View topic - lol, rm italy kl503.
Guys running ~750 watts out of this same amp running 20 volts into it. If that is why he is seeing so many watts DK; that is the only way possible, as I stated earlier on this thread.

I found that the 91DD18 article interesting.
Read the comments below the main article:
Another Amp to look at | 91DD018
Seems that this amp has no problems with input tuning over most of the Ham band.

Last edited:
I was wondering if maybe your setting up a ground loop through the power supply so the meter is freeking out. i like the rfi idea to. maybe the power supply is going into carciac arrest and giving you a butload of voltage but i think you would fry stuff if that happened. does anyone see a stronger signal reading on you when it shows 500w compared to the batterys 225w?

OK, every time he keys down the amp is squealing like a pig, problem solved! LOL, let's see what happens with the modulation test, he has never givin any nominal values other then DK watts, this tells much, Scott.

Hi hammer, I just want to ask one question, what happens when you modulate? to this 225 or 480 DK reading,
These particular readings power supply 480 watt, and batterey i forget right now 225 watt? this is max setting ( 6 position power setting KL-503) I get almost no forward swing on modulation I do get good forward swing on lower power settings (KL-503)

I was wondering if maybe your setting up a ground loop through the power supply so the meter is freeking out. i like the rfi idea to. maybe the power supply is going into carciac arrest and giving you a butload of voltage but i think you would fry stuff if that happened. does anyone see a stronger signal reading on you when it shows 500w compared to the batterys 225w?
When you say "ground loop" I am grounding the KL-503 ground wire to the power supply which is powered and grounded through my house electric.

fans stop spinning while keyed down

I don't know if this matters but when I key down my two 5x5 fans mounted to the KL-503 stop spinning and when unkeyed start spinning again. These fans are designed to be specifically in a electronic environment. It is not because there is no power it has something to do with rf I am sure.?

Thank you CK and critter for your thoughts. My thoughts are around what critter said. The only time these amps will see that kind of DK is when they are fed with 20 volts. And no more than 5 watts input into the amp.

Read this page:
NWCBRadio.com • View topic - lol, rm italy kl503.
Guys running ~750 watts out of this same amp running 20 volts into it. If that is why he is seeing so many watts DK; that is the only way possible, as I stated earlier on this thread.

I found that the 91DD18 article interesting.
Read the comments below the main article:
Another Amp to look at | 91DD018
Seems that this amp has no problems with input tuning over most of the Ham band.
I am going to see if I can find my voltage meter and see what is happening in this department

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.