• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950 DX vs. COBRA 2000 GTL

B

BOOTY MONSTER

the old school solid state classic vs. the most technically sound modern export radio (or 29xx series in general) thats not a more wide banded ham rig . both have cons . the age of the 2000's make repairs more likely and probally high repair/parts cost . the RCI's arnt as strong modulation wise on AM , but seems to be fine for folks who dont need to be the town channel master . im told the white noise issue they used to be known for is not a issue anymore so apparently rci took notice of it and fixed ........ what ever was wrong .

ignoring the much wider frequency coverage of the RCI's and the beautiful (IMO) apperance of the 2000 how do they compare ? im sure some here have or have used both ;) . thanks

oh , this post is just a post to make the first post in the thread one made by a forum member .
i have seized the glory of the first reply !!!!
mere mortals and forum staff may now reply .

the old school solid state classic vs. the most technically sound modern export radio (or 29xx series in general) thats not a more wide banded ham rig . both have cons . the age of the 2000's make repairs more likely and probally high repair/parts cost . the RCI's arnt as strong modulation wise on AM , but seems to be fine for folks who dont need to be the town channel master . im told the white noise issue they used to be known for is not a issue anymore so apparently rci took notice of it and fixed ........ what ever was wrong .

Have you tried using a 2000 radio Mobil ??

Kinda like comparing apples to oranges :) in my Humble Opinion of course.

Regards,
John

itll be used as a base . ive got a astron rs 35-m . the radio will be driving a 2x1446 palomar 225 when the bump is needed .

I bought a 2970DX and did not like the white noise at all. And if I turned the squelch to kill the noise, I also lost all the weak signals that were burried in the noise. I have a 2000 and it hears everything with absolutely no noise, and I dont use any squelch. I often forget it is even on till someone talks.LOL Very nice radio to leave on without driving you crazy. Maybe I am old fashioned, but the older radios work better.

PR

As far as expense of repairs, NOT. Rick, the CB Doctor charges a max of 125.00 to repair and align a 2000, not including the counter, but he can fix those too for just a little more. I sent him a JUNK, ebay radio,( it was badly misrepresented) and I do mean JUNK, and 2 weeks later, it came back working and looking better than new. Great guy and he does a great job, too!
So, no, repairs dont have to be expensive.

PR

i hadboth over the years and still have the cobra2k .anbd both were great radios
it really comes down to what ya want in a radio in features. the rci does have more
features,however with a amp that has 2 x xxxx the cobra wouldnt stress the amp
out to the max as thr rci.i like both radios for me to say one is better than the other
would be very had to do.

I have owned both radios (3 versions of the 2950DX, and I still have my 2000GTL) and personally, I like the 2000GTL better. Here's why:

Anytime you take a 10M radio (i.e. 2950DX in this case) and modify it out of its designated band, you'll lose a little bit of both transmit and receive integrity. While I was able to retune the TX and gain back what I had lost, the RX just never came up to snuff... and I had the white noise issue on all 3 of my 2950DX radios. While the 2950DX wins hands down on TX, the 2000GTL makes up for it in RX, and if you're going to have a little extra behind it when necessary, there's no real need to have the extra TX output that the 2950DX provides.

I'd say, Cobra 2000GTL for the win. Just my .02 worth. Cheers! :D

2950 is your typical alligator, all mouth no ears. cant talk to who you cant hear. the noise is still there, its created by the cpu. its the hiss you hear. try unpluging your coax and listen. the noise is the white noise you hear referenced. it overpowers lower signals.

the 2000 is a great radio but just about any you will get will be getting long in the tooth. its a good idea to change cap's to keep them running a little longer.

the 2950 is great with a tone board installed so you can work repeters. they dont seem to warble to much on ssb and generally work well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.