• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950DX high ampere draw

20CB110

Nov 3, 2006
NORWAY
When i first got my new 2950DX i notised that this radio had a much higher draw compared to my Presidents. At 10w dk it consumed 6 ampere, my president george needed only 3.5ampere at same power. I also notised the same on my 2995DX.

Enyone who have experienced the same? Only explanation i can find looking into my radio could be that ranger has used a to high valued condensator(rated 390) between the voltage regulator Q6(2sb754) and the driver/finals. This also could make the voltage regulator work at a very high temperature and the 2950DX get heated on the left back side of the radio.
The finals are not hot at all.

In older 2950`s this condensator were rated at 220 and i didnt notice the heating. Could it be a mismatch in the DX`s

Enyone who got a explanation?

My Norwegian Radiosuplyer say this is normal, i dont trust them to be good enough tech`s

I can't say that I've specifically noticed the higher current draw, but then I've never had need to look for it in that radio. As for the capacitor differences, I doubt that would make the radio draw more current. I do know that most exports will get quite warm on the regulator side of the chassis when running at high power levels, so I would say that it more or less normal.

Thankyou for replies, its always good to know if others have similar experiences, otherwise i think that something is very wrong with my equipment.

Always looking for faults, nearly half the hobby :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.