• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2970n2 owners....

DXman

Yes, that's 3100 degrees F. Nine yrs of hard work.
Apr 5, 2005
West Coast - Washington
For those of you that have this radio and are having to use a 50-70 supply to run them, I just received mine back from Dave at DTB Radio and here is how the radio is now working.

Before sending in:
SSB - 300 watts (drawing 46 amps)
AM - 275 + (drawing about the same)

AFTER:
SSB - 215 watts (now drawing 18 amps)*
AM - 250 watts (now drawing 27 amps)*
*straight modulation

So now I have the Pyramid 36 amp running the radio and it's working GREAT!!

Last edited:

Why such a difference from stock to when dave worked on it? what did he do?

Why is it putting out less watts? Does the radio sound good, I heard the 2970n2 did not sound as good as the older style 2970.

Sorry so many questions.

Why such a difference from stock to when dave worked on it? what did he do?

Why is it putting out less watts? Does the radio sound good, I heard the 2970n2 did not sound as good as the older style 2970.

Sorry so many questions.
It's putting out the watts that the radio should be doing, it was never intend to do 300.

The radio sounds just as good as the dx models, it all depends who tunes them up.

It never was tuned - that's the way it came factory.
There have been several guys that have seen 250-300 output stock and that's really to high, some have been blowing the finals.

For those of you that have this radio and are having to use a 50-70 supply to run them, I just received mine back from Dave at DTB Radio and here is how the radio is now working.

Before sending in:

AFTER:
*straight modulation

yeap , that was way to much out the box ! I really like the 2970 , my ears tell me a true and pure SSB radio. Although IM not real sure about the N models as of yet ? Apparently they are coming from the factory like this , I know a guy that has been through 4 of the N models over the last year ....blowing the MOSFETS each time and claiming the radio was doing over 350 on SSB !!!!

He just wouldn't listen to others telling him to have the radio turned down , he would send them back to the warrenty center and they would send him a new one , that's right ! 4 times ! Now he has gotten the 5th radio in return and is selling it. (before he blows it up)

Something about MOSFETS don't sit well with me ? I suppose it's about having a better understanding about them and knowing what's best for them to work the best ? At this time , I would prefer the older 2970's with the two transistors over this N model with the 8 X 520 MOSFETS .

Good to hear you got your N running smoothly DX Man. ........oh .....and theres no reason to over drive the DX models either , I think a nice smooth 150 pep on those is more then enough.

Your right Switch Kit about the 150 p.e.p. on the 2970dx models. I had Dave tune 2 of them for me, they are running at 115 & 125 PEP and the audio is excellent on both of them.
I am certainly not going to worry about 35 to 40 watt loss, for with the beam and 100 watts everything works just fine.

AFTER:
*straight modulation

I would also be interested to know how to tune it for less amp draw, mine is drawing 25 amp at 100 watts on AM/FM. The radios are only supposed to do 100 watts AM/FM/CW and 200 watts SSB with a max draw of 18 amps, so your radio is still way over the top for AM.

I would also be interested to know how to tune it for less amp draw, mine is drawing 25 amp at 100 watts on AM/FM. The radios are only supposed to do 100 watts AM/FM/CW and 200 watts SSB with a max draw of 18 amps, so your radio is still way over the top for AM.

i think you'll find he is measuring AM on a peak reading meter,and not on an average reading meter that the 100w is quoted from,100% modulated peak power is roughly 2.6 times 100% modulated average power.

Allowing for the accuracy of both your ammeters your radios are set at roughly the same carrier power,i would imagine you both have AM carrier power set around 65-70w.you also have to allow for accuracy of both of your power meters too.

Before sending in:

AFTER:
*straight modulation

Hey Larry, haven't heard you on the air lately. NW has not been in my radio, no doubt.

Was your radio ever pumped up by someone before you got it?

That is some good work.

Hey Larry, haven't heard you on the air lately. NW has not been in my radio, no doubt.

Was your radio ever pumped up by someone before you got it?

That is some good work.
No on PUMPED UP Eddy. Stock, the radio was doing 300 on ssb, that's why I sent it to Dave to have it "detuned".

I am not hearing much from your state either, just every now and then some one creeps through, but it doesn't last long.

No on PUMPED UP Eddy. Stock, the radio was doing 300 on ssb, that's why I sent it to Dave to have it "detuned".

I am not hearing much from your state either, just every now and then some one creeps through, but it doesn't last long.

That's good to know Larry, I was worried it might be that 18 watts out of my DX2547 just wasn't enough.(y)

Well Jeff - Your mobile was sure doing it's thing the other day by the Post Office...very strong signal up here. It's always a pleasure to be able to talk to the King of The CDX contests.....

Ya Eddy - 18 watts I hear ya! I am back on my 2950dx now, 26 watts is good enough for this N. America skip.

(Why is the e-mail notification not working?)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.