• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2970n2 ssb carrier

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
the radio is showing a small carrier on ssb dead key..my other radio doesnt show any carrier on dead key..is there an easy remedy ? there should be 0 carrier on sideband..

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rci/rci_2950dx/graphics/rci_2950dx_70dx_sm.pdf
RCI-2970DX:
SSB Carrier
Balance:
Set radio to USB TX mode.
AF signal 30 mV, 1 KHz to microphone.
Connect Oscilloscope to antenna jack.
VR7 Spurious Emission to minimum.

Or hook the radio up to a meter and a dummy load or antenna, turn the mic gain to zero, key the mic on USB and turn the VR7 pot until the carrier just disappears. Not too much now. Then, check LSB for a carrier. It should be OK if you were careful.

This also may be a symptom of a larger alignment problem. But you would have known this by now.

I'm not a tech; but I've aligned more than a few SSB radios.
If it won't balance; then I would see a tech.

Last edited:
thanks alot Robb for the info..that helps alot seein i aint got none of them scopes n stuff..locals can probly hear that carier and should keep the signal clearer..

Robb,,or anyone..rechecked the meter and its showing just under a 1/4 of a watt lsb deadkey..is this ok ?dont realy wanna get my stubby fingers in there..and Robb..does it matter if adjust usb first ?only use lsb..i heard my wife talk on the radio whilst i was in the mobile and sounded good..if its not that big of deal n wont hurt the radio i mite just leave well enough alone but ya know when the the ole ocd kicks in ya gotta do somthin....

Last edited:
Robb,,or anyone..rechecked the meter and its showing just under a 1/4 of a watt lsb deadkey..is this ok ?dont realy wanna get my stubby fingers in there..and Robb..does it matter if adjust usb first ?only use lsb..i heard my wife talk on the radio whilst i was in the mobile and sounded good..if its not that big of deal n wont hurt the radio i mite just leave well enough alone but ya know when the the ole ocd kicks in ya gotta do somthin....
Leave well enough alone if you haven't done this before!
All I did was answer your question. If the radio isn't creating a problem for you or anyone, then i would just leave it alone.

But your observation is correct; there should be no carrier in the SSB signal. It is probably out of adjustment. If it bothers you that much, then send it to a reliable radio tech and have him align the whole thing. Done deal.

This is so familiar to me and Robb I'm sure you remember my 949 having this issue as well. I had a 3+ SWR on sideband with a deadkey but AM worked great. After too much $ spent my tech found about a 1/4 watt deadkey on SSB. If your unfamiliar with fixing it find a good tech.

thanks all,for the help..screwd up my nerve and went into the radio n adjusted vr7 on usb and now both sidebands show no carrier....

This type of problem is quite common in "consumer-type" equipment. What happens is that some component will age and drift off it's setting. Might be a resistor in the balance circuit or even the balance pot. Saw it a lot of this with older amateur gear too. A very easy fix.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.