• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2m antenna for a man pack

emclean

Apr 15, 2013
where can i find a ridged antenna to attach to a pack frame for a Icom 2200H?

is there any commercially available (other than on ebay)?

My first military instinct of a man pack, is, well, a backpack kinda deal.
i was thinking of a whip for a backpack (something to take along on hikes easily) i would love to find the equivalent of the SINCGARS man pack antenna.

Using a 2200 doesn't quite fit that plan.
why not? i figured i would need to mount it in a box, leaving a couple of inches all around it for air flow, what else am i missing about putting it in a backpack?

why not? i figured i would need to mount it in a box, leaving a couple of inches all around it for air flow, what else am i missing about putting it in a backpack?

... power source?

Also cooling. In an enclosed bag/box whatever that radio will die of heat stroke unless the air can be circulated more than just having a little air space around it.

okay I guess this goes in the pile of my hair brained ideas.
thank you for a warning me off before I fried a radio.

Not hair brained at all. Just a few things to consider. I'd like to see a picture of your pack. It would be neat to have a contained system on a pack that could be taken off, laid down and switched to a portable base configuration.

I'm sure it's been done by many ops, I've just never paid much attention.

I was going to use my old radio ruck from my army days. a mediem Alice pack with a large pocket in it for the sincguar radio.
I was gonna build a box roughly the size of the pocket, and put the battery on the bottem of the pack frame.
I jumped a radio in it a couple of times, and didn't see any reason to re-invent the wheel.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.