• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 Element Yagi style antenna's

Old Pirate56

Apr 24, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Has anyone used the following 4 element flatside antenna's and how do you rate their performance.
Mosley Powermaster 4 element
Mosley Scotchmaster " "
Jo Gunn Super Audio series 4 element :?
I know that the so called gain figures are a bit over inflated on the Jo Gunn

Thanks

Murray

I have a Mosley PRO-67B and I know they make a very good product, no skimming here.

I here good things about the Jo-Gunn's too, but if I had the choice I'd go with the Mosley product.

Good Luck
Jonbah
CDX-3030

1st Class Mud Duck

Mosley vs Jo-Gunn

jonbah said:
I have a Mosley PRO-67B and I know they make a very good product, no skimming here.

I here good things about the Jo-Gunn's too, but if I had the choice I'd go with the Mosley product.

Good Luck
Jonbah
CDX-3030

1st Class Mud Duck
Jonbah, thanks for the reply, you have confirmed what I suspected, I had reservations about JoGunn mainly because of the inflated gain figures and am sure they would sell a lot more antenna's if they were a little more realistic with the gain figures and dropped the whole audio gain thing.

Thanks

Murray

Re: Mosley vs Jo-Gunn

Old Pirate56 said:
I had reservations about JoGunn mainly because of the inflated gain figures and am sure they would sell a lot more antenna's if they were a little more realistic with the gain figures and dropped the whole audio gain thing.

Yep, I love the "audio gain" pitch too. There is a simple answer though; Jo-Gunn is playing right into the stupidity of the CB mentality! I know you know what I'm talking about! Now, not all CBers are stupid and there are more and more each day who truly want to learn! But, as long as people keep buying into the crap thatthey are selling, then they will keep dishing it out! This isn't limited to Jo-Gunn either! When will radio operators demand a better product at a resonable price from RCI? $500.00 for a 2990?! Are you kidding me?! That radio is junk.

There is only one way to educate the manufacturers, and that is to STOP buying their crap. Believe me, they will get the message! In the mean time, find a good used Uniden chassis radio and spend a couple more dollars on better antennas!

Dodgy euipment and salesman speak with forked tounge

Master Chief, Iknow what your getting at. When I got back into radio I was pretty gullable and bought one of the new Cobra NWST radio's which was bought on the reputation that Cobra had with the older 138 & 142 -148 GTL's and very soon I found that quality control had gone out the window. I bought an old Uniden Grant and also a Realistic TRC453 (Uniden PC122 clone) and these sets are rock solid, never again did anyone tell me I was off frequency.
Now I will ask a few questions on the forums before buying new equipment and if I can save someone else from buying a lemon I am only too glad to help them out.

Murray

Jo-gunn

I'm really upset with Jo-Gunn with their maketing tactics. I'm a firm firm believer. If you put enough fire into a piece of 2x4 piece of lumber it will probally talk too.

Gain figures for antennas are basically a referance of performance dbi is based on a ideal or perfect set of conditions, dbd is a better referance for it bases the gain figures over a true dipole or unity gain antenna. But every operator has to realize that these figures are set in a ideal condition and they do not take into consideration things like close obsticles, power lines, metal roofs,trees etc. How A ntron can say that a 1/2 wave end fed dipole like the A99 has 9 db? gain is an outright lie, I could hang a home-brewed wire dipole antenna that cost $5 to make from a tree verticly and get the same results. Even the Imax 2000 is inflated if you look at real figures. So why do these antenna manufactures come up with these unrealistic gain factors and off the wall designs like Jo-gu nn and others.

One simple answer-
Marketing-They want your money!

Don't get me wrong the antennas mentioned will work, but don't count on those specs being true within + or - 20 % it ain't gonna happen.
If your in the market for a new antenna or you know someone that is. This is one of the best places in the world to ask what is the best for my situation, I'm sure you will get a real answer.

:LOL: I guess my co-phased 5/8th wave rubber ducks mounted on my roof gutter have at least 14 db gain :?:

Jonbah
1st Class Mud Duck

Jo-gunn sa-4

I have a Jo-gunn sa-4. It is built like a tank. It is not hard to assemble, it is not very easy to disassemble due to its design. It performs reasonably well nothing to brag about. If I had it to do again I would get a maco. Cheaper easier to disassemble and easily the same performance. Most of all lets just stop with the audio gain already. Gooday.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.