• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

40 Meter Digi Sstv

dc2rf

Jan 15, 2014
I'm looking for info on the 40m digi sstv activity on 7173 lsb. Can someone tell me if stations are using the "Hybrid" mode like they are on 14.233 mhz?

Is there much activity... best times to listen?

Using the Easypal software, I copied a station this morn sending sstv but couldn't get a pic. I know the gang on 20m uses the hybrid mode (internet connection required), so you don't get a pic unless online.

I'm hoping the 40m gang isn't using the Hybrid mode.

Can anyone give me some info on the activity on this freq?

p.s. I'm not interested in the activity if I need to be connected to the 'net. (just my preference I guess).

welcome to the "club"

I'm looking for info on the 40m digi sstv activity on 7173 lsb. Can someone tell me if stations are using the "Hybrid" mode like they are on 14.233 mhz? ... I know the gang on 20m uses the hybrid mode...

p.s. I'm not interested in the activity if I need to be connected to the 'net. (just my preference I guess).

Many of us refuse to use the hybrid mode,.......... whats the point?, kinda like echolink.

there is a group of us in the eastern U.S. on 7.173 every morning from about 7 A.M. (est,... 1200UTC ) until the band goes long . we use both modes, I ONLY send in the conventional mode.

heck,.... sometimes we even use analog when some one moves in a little too close.

don't hesitate to join in.

also when the band is open, tune around 28.680 +/-

Road Squawker,

I've tuned in the last couple mornings but propagation has been rather poor lately. On one of the stronger stations heard (Virginia), I can get all the sync lights except the MSC. I haven't seen a pic yet. Running easypal in the "Basic" mode. Is there any setting that I need to change in the software? Other than the soundcard, I've left the settings "stock".

Can't join you, but thanks for the invite... I'm an SWL only. I check 28.680 also but propagation has been very poor there also.

Thanks for your reply.

EASYPAL is not a low power mode, the Va station is QRO @ 1500 watts, so it takes a good signal to get a lock onto.

a couple of pointers,..... the SNR box has a "slider" that turns from red to green while RXing, don't allow it to get larger than 1/3 to 1/2 the way extended,... it will OVERDRIVE your sound card. (turn down the Mic in/LINE in as required)

also, above the waterfall there are 3 green "TIC" marks at about 750, 1500, and 1750 Hz. when you are RX ing, there will be 3 verticle lines in the waterfall, adjust your RX freq as necessary to place the verticle line directly under the green TIC mark.

3012711_1.jpg

other than that, there really isn't much else to do to get it to RX.

do you have DIGISITES on your computer? http://www.w3wvg.com/_mgxroot/page_10727.html

Thanks for the tips with using Easypal, Road Squawker. I see it boils down to watching the audio input level and setting the receiver frequency "dead on" with the "Tics". I'm going to give it a try again tomorrow morning... hope conditions co-operate.

You mentioned the need for a good signal level for this mode. The lack of signal is probably the cause most of my difficulty. I wish propagation would pick up. Even the QRO Virginia station was only peaking about an S-4 here most of the time (I'm in the midwest). The others in the group barely moved the S-meter.

I had digi-sites on the pc at one time. I really wanted to copy the pics on my own without any internet help (like Hybrid operation does), so I just un-installed the program.

I don't bother to look at 14.233 mhz sstv anymore. If Digi SSTV goes all Hybrid on the other freqs, I'll just quit copying it and do something else with my time.

I appreciate the help from you. Some of us don't have a ham ticket, and can't ask the operating stations directly for help with reception, so we ask on forums.

welcome to the "club"

Many of us refuse to use the hybrid mode,.......... whats the point?, kinda like echolink.

there is a group of us in the eastern U.S. on 7.173 every morning from about 7 A.M. (est,... 1200UTC ) until the band goes long . we use both modes, I ONLY send in the conventional mode.

heck,.... sometimes we even use analog when some one moves in a little too close.

don't hesitate to join in.

also when the band is open, tune around 28.680 +/-

Hi there.
I am trying to contrast this info actually.. Using some webdsrs located in the eastern U.S, at that hour usually I heard only people talking in such frequencies ..

Is the sstv thing still going on 7.173 or 28.680??
Thanks!

yes, almost every morning after the "down home" net ends , we use 7.173 for easypal, mostly in the Hybrid mode, but if some one wants to, we use the conventional mode too.

the people you hear, is that Norm, Dave, and/or Jerry?

I think the HyBRID modes days are numbered. after ERIC died, his wife still lets the web server operate,.... don't know how long that will continue.

anyway, which websdrs are you using? I would like to monitor the groups signals at certain times too...... Thanks

yes, almost every morning after the "down home" net ends , we use 7.173 for easypal, mostly in the Hybrid mode, but if some one wants to, we use the conventional mode too.

the people you hear, is that Norm, Dave, and/or Jerry?

I think the HyBRID modes days are numbered. after ERIC died, his wife still lets the web server operate,.... don't know how long that will continue.

anyway, which websdrs are you using? I would like to monitor the groups signals at certain times too...... Thanks

Yeah, finally, i got some easypal activity from w3cde (3 hybrid pics) and kq4zh (1 failed + 1 hybrid pic) starting it to me at 8:13 eastern us time (15:13 cet)

I was listening 2 weeks ago about three days with no luck . There is not an intense use of easypal, i guess.

Many thanks for your reply , Road Squawker. I use these websdr. Reception is good there:
http://livehams.com:8282
http://96.234.60.127:8902

Greetings

EDIT: Also, there was some SSTV analogic images from kq4zh thereafter.

Last edited:
Reactions: DainBramage

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.